Man vs. Fish

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Winterrider

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Sep 29, 2018
North Dakota
Managed to get out early for some fishing.
Not really sure whether I won or not. I did manage 3 nice eyes
20220615_104839.jpg

But a northern kinda proved to be boss. Clamped down on my thumb and didn't want to really give it up. Right at the knuckle area so figured I better do stitches (4). 50 yrs of fishing and never anything this bad. I chalk it up to human stupidity.
20220615_112239.jpg

Mouth full of large enough sharp teeth. Ouch. Got a club or som rat shot in the boat? Lol
I was shore fishing on some rocks. Sure did want to give him one across the snout with a rock but not with my finger in there. About 12# pike

Reactions: SmokinEdge
I bet that hurt yikes. On the bright side you did get 3 nice fish hopefully you got somebody else to clean them since you were injured in the line of duty fishing duty that is

Reactions: Winterrider
I never fished pike or walleye, tho ling cod have some choppers. I can't recall ever cutting myself while catching a fish, tho I have more than once cleaning them. Wear a kevlar glove now. Bet that smarts some! RAY

Reactions: Winterrider
Walleye might be my favorite fried fish .
That's a bad bite . Good thing you went to get it stitched and hopefully well cleaned . Keep an eye on it for infection .
Bad thing about those cuts is there are some many small nerve endings in you fingers you'll most likely have a dead spot there .
Keep in mind too , that since it's a joint there's tendon that runs to the tip of the thumb . If you get some scar tissue at the joint it might want attach to that tendon , causing loss of movement .
Not trying to sound like a know it all , just been there more than once . Maybe the Doc will send you for some therapy or at least give you some exercises to do .

Last edited:
Not trying to sound like a know it all , just been there more than once . Maybe the Doc will send you for some therapy or at least give you some exercises to do .
Gonna start working it as soon as heals enough to quit bleeding. Don't need the movement loss, arthritis already affects that enough.

And I'm not really fond of pike at the moment either!
Enjoy the fight with them, but know they are not friendly. Will definitely be a reminder every time.

Reactions: chopsaw
I've had scaring to a tendon in my wrist . It's not good , and tearing it loose will hurt more than the bite . Good luck with it , you're already ahead of it .

Nice Eyes, Rider!!
Dang Toothy Pike!
I was holding a Mongrel Musky one time, and he showed me his Mouth.
Looked like a mouthful of Broken Glass !!!
Better go for Bass for awhile, until you heal up!!

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky