Making own wood pellets - advice?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

drharps

Original poster
Jan 12, 2022
Has anyone done this? I work in conservation and we remove lots of invasive trees that would be perfect for wood pellets, but I've only seen a few DIY tips online. Has anyone done it? What is needed? How much of a pain is it?

Any advice is welcome.

You will never make pellets at home that will be as efficient as store bought. They are compressed under thousands of pounds of pressure. Pellet grill manufacturers build their platforms around those specifications. So anything you do at home will wreak havoc with your grill. Save the sawdust though assuming the invasive trees are hardwood. There is definitely a use for that

Pretty much all the woods on the smoking list, aside from mesquite, are native to most of the US, so you might want to be more specific as to what these invasive species are.

Reactions: bauchjw and TNJAKE
Pretty much all the woods on the smoking list, aside from mesquite, are native to most of the US, so you might want to be more specific as to what these invasive species are.
I thought Mesquite was native too?

The only invasive that would be used for smoking that I can think of would be Bradford pear. Those damn things escaped the landscape environment and are crowding out native species around here. There may be others, but that's the first one that comes to my mind.

It is, but I think not native to most of the US, only Texas area.
It is, but only to a small area. Oak, maple, hickory, and most of the fruit woods are pretty widely disbursed throughout the US.
That makes sense. It threw me off a little because I always associated mesquite and Texas bbq. Not saying Texas doesn’t have hickory/oak legacy, but mesquite always stuck in my head. I think because I like it so much!

Reactions: DougE
Thanks everyone. Mesquite is one of the woods, the others being mango and strawberry guava. (Mango being less common.)

My big issue is whether we could make it feasible to do. We literally cut down thousands a year so it comes down to how hard it is to make usable pellets with them. What equipment is needed. What are the costs. What is the process. Etc. And will it, as indicated earlier, be so low quality it will ruin a pellet grill.

You can buy one of these pellet making machine but not to sure it would be worth it unless unlimited access to sawdust.
Anyone that like bradford pear trees better get soon. They are going on invasive plant list an will no longer be sold at nurseries this year.

Thanks everyone. Mesquite is one of the woods, the others being mango and strawberry guava. (Mango being less common.)

My big issue is whether we could make it feasible to do. We literally cut down thousands a year so it comes down to how hard it is to make usable pellets with them. What equipment is needed. What are the costs. What is the process. Etc. And will it, as indicated earlier, be so low quality it will ruin a pellet grill.
It sounds like your best solution would be to buy a stick burner!

Reactions: BurntWeenie
Anyone that like bradford pear trees better get soon. They are going on invasive plant list an will no longer be sold at nurseries this year.
Should have happened a long time ago. They are highly prone to breakage due to their structure, and they have pretty much taken over everywhere around here.

Reactions: 1MoreFord
Has anyone done this? I work in conservation and we remove lots of invasive trees that would be perfect for wood pellets, but I've only seen a few DIY tips online. Has anyone done it? What is needed? How much of a pain is it?

Any advice is welcome.

Hi there and welcome!

Lets talk about machinery. Here is a site to a little personal pellet mill you can buy for less than $1k but the volume it works on is small:
The site also does a good job explaining the whole process.

So the manufacturing process has a number of steps and with any manufacturing the various steps have different machines (as is usually the case). Here is an image of the pellet making process if you are doing anything other than your own home pellets which is small volume:

In short you have steps of reducing wood to size for pellet making, drying, filtering to only have wood, pelletizing, sifting, bagging, storing.
1643991825381.png

Look at that site and the steps and the machines you would need.
If the cost of machines + installation + rent for manufacturing + maintenance + wages for people to man the operations + sales mechanisms + cost of shipping shipping all make sense, then you have a viable business option.

That should give you good info on pelletizing at some sort of scale for the amount of trees you may be dealing with.
I have a feeling that a pellet mill business model is more about giving places the opportunity to pelletize their wood and that is where the profit is made as the whole sourcing and selling end is just too much to tack on. Just my thoughts though.

So in all you can weigh this vs other options like the suggest one of just sending your wood to a pellet mill. Better yet if you can find a company like Lumberjack Pellets and just source wood for them you can get paid for the wood and hop out of the rest of the production and business process. Then you just buy their pellets lol.

Other options that are less expensive would be to produce wood chips by chipping all of the wood. There is a local tree trimming and removal company here in Dallas that has a big box truck that hauls a giant chipper behind it. They cut down whole trees and chip it in to the box truck. I imagine they then sell the chips to some place that wants any kind of wood that works for their products (mulch, non-smoke fuel pellets, particle board plants, etc.).

I dont know or didnt look up the process for making dust but I guess you could go from chips to dust more easily but not sure.

Anyhow I hope this gives some food for thought on if/how you want to go about your tree removal and pelletizing or any other approach that makes you the most money :)

Last edited:
Reactions: drharps
Thanks everyone for the help. Unfortunately I don't think there are any pellet makers on island so it's not an option, which is why I was looking to it as a new business. Biochar is an interesting idea I hadn't considered.

Either way, thanks again.

Reactions: tallbm
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky