1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Making Lox a picture guide.

Discussion in 'Fish' started by bbally, Jan 8, 2010.

1. Maybe a dumb question maybe not.......Can you cold smoke salmon caught in Lake Michigan which are considered "fresh water" and would it be safe even if using cure?  I know you cant or at least shouldn't eat any fresh water fish raw for sushi, so I wasn't sure if cold smoking or curing would be any different. I have had hot smoked fresh water salmon which is great, but never heard or seen fresh water lox??

2. daveomak

daveomak Epic Pitmaster OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

I don't know why not...   Follow this recipe to a "T" and you should be good to go....   I've used this recipe and it is very good.....

3. SmokinAl

SmokinAl SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

The other thing I do when I make lox is to freeze it after it's made for 30 days at -10 degrees.

This will kill any parasites in the fish that the cure won't.

It's probably overkill, but I do it anyway.

Al

4. jakester

jakester Meat Mopper

My lox would never make it to the freezer before it's all gone. 

5. Love the instructions! Saved in my "Smoker Recipes" file. Just sad the pics are not coming thru! Gonna have to try this!

6. bahfotl

bahfotl Fire Starter

I too am wondering why the original images on the op aren't coming through. Could it be the Photo bucket fiasco?

7. ryan141

ryan141 Newbie

Made this over the past few days! Turned out fantastic.