Making Kielbasa

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Mike2523

Original poster
Nov 12, 2022
Today I made kielbasa in my Smokin Tex 1460. I am Not happy with the final product, the looks.
I placed the rings on the racks and smoked using Cherry until the temperature was 154. I placed it in a cold bath.
Some of the kielbasa was not red looking like other pieces were.

What am I doing wrong?

I make kielbasa in the past other ways, like piping Cherry smoke to a 3x3 box holding the kielbasa. Worked great.

Attachments

• B5066AFC-EC31-42E0-A6B1-3701D1338C3D.jpeg
    B5066AFC-EC31-42E0-A6B1-3701D1338C3D.jpeg
    140.2 KB · Views: 14
  • CDBA613C-6093-4B1A-95A5-522BA71EC220.jpeg
    CDBA613C-6093-4B1A-95A5-522BA71EC220.jpeg
    133.1 KB · Views: 14
  • 46384295-6A34-44EC-BB6D-0CE8D75ABABB.jpeg
    46384295-6A34-44EC-BB6D-0CE8D75ABABB.jpeg
    119.1 KB · Views: 14
  • DD181127-C561-4AA9-ADCB-4A0E110C40B8.jpeg
    DD181127-C561-4AA9-ADCB-4A0E110C40B8.jpeg
    86 KB · Views: 14
What temp did you run? Also looks like hot spots in that cooker, you have to rotate the meat around.

What temp did you run? Also looks like hot spots in that cooker, you have to rotate the meat around.
I started at 100 for about 30 minutes to preheat and make sure it was dry. Then increased to 140 adding the Cherry chunks for about and hour. Then increased to 150 until the kielbasa thermometer read 154.

I started at 100 for about 30 minutes to preheat and make sure it was dry. Then increased to 140 adding the Cherry chunks for about and hour. Then increased to 150 until the kielbasa thermometer read 154.
How did you get IT of 154 with pit temp of 150? In Pits meat usually lags pit temp by 20ish degrees.

Reactions: DanMcG and DougE
What kind of probes are you using to check your pit and meat temps? Have you checked them for accuracy lately?

How did you get IT of 154 with pit temp of 150? In Pits meat usually lags pit temp by 20ish degrees.
15 to 20, is the lag in my experience. Either way, the meat can not exceed the pit temp. Physics and all that stuff.

If stove temps get above set temps (as the op stated) then meat temps can get higher also. Set temp on stove to 150 and it actually heats to 170...

Ryan

Should have said smoker, but OP said stove, thus my reply.
If you don't have enough therms to check temps in different areas of your smoker...try using pre packaged biscuits and spread them around inside smoker.

Ryan

If stove temps get above set temps (as the op stated) then meat temps can get higher also. Set temp on stove to 150 and it actually heats to 170...

Ryan
Still, the problem would be with the cooker exceeding set temps, not what's cooking rising above the max temp of the cooker. Generally, there is a 15 to 20° lag between the cooker and what's in it.

Yes but the question was asked..." how did you get an IT of 154 with a pit temp of 150"...was just pointing out what OP said "the cooker goes above set temps" . That's how you get an IT of 154 with pit temps set at 150. So when I had my analog mes 30 before I got an auber pid the therm was 20 degrees off. Also had 25 degree temp swings...so maybe set at 150 but could be running at 170. But as pics show there are definitely hot spots...if therm was in those hot spots would read much warmer than if in cooler end of meat.

Ryan

Yes but the question was asked..." how did you get an IT of 154 with a pit temp of 150"...was just pointing out what OP said "the cooker goes above set temps" . That's how you get an IT of 154 with pit temps set at 150. So when I had my analog mes 30 before I got an auber pid the therm was 20 degrees off. Also had 25 degree temp swings...so maybe set at 150 but could be running at 170. But as pics show there are definitely hot spots...if therm was in those hot spots would read much warmer than if in cooler end of meat.

Ryan
I agree,
but good grief.

I agree,
but good grief.
My thoughts exactly! The OP was asking for help not to be questioned on the impossible. Not everything has to be so technical...I shouldn't have to point out the obvious. You were right in your answer...he has hotspots in his smoker, or didn't rotate them and the ends closest to the heat got overdone. As was mentioned, his therms should be checked for accuracy in ice water and boiling water. We are here to help people with their questions and problems...it's that simple.

Ryan

Reactions: chopsaw
My thoughts exactly! The OP was asking for help not to be questioned on the impossible. Not everything has to be so technical...I shouldn't have to point out the obvious. You were right in your answer...he has hotspots in his smoker, or didn't rotate them and the ends closest to the heat got overdone. As was mentioned, his therms should be checked for accuracy in ice water and boiling water. We are here to help people with their questions and problems...it's that simple.

Ryan
Yes sir, I completely agree. And you are spot on, as usual, Ryan.

Not everything has to be so technical.
Never used to be , but always comes from the same place .

I use Therm Pro TP-20 wired thermometers.
Mike , I have a TP-20 . It has a permanent spot in a drawer .
I was having some of the issues that you had . The therm tested good in boiling water , and good in ice . One day I got the idea to use my SV machine to check intermediate temps .
It was 20 to 30 degrees off at middle temps . SV set to 130 it read 160 . Double checked with 2 other therms and they matched my SV temps on the money .

The TP-20 isn't the complete cause of your issue , but I would be suspect of it . Knowing the running temp of your smoker is a starting point in my opinion .

Then air flow / hot spots , and maybe more important that I don't think was mentioned is load .
My opinion is it looks like you overloaded the smoker . Which can cause the trouble you had .

You ever thought about just smoking your sausages long enough to get the color you want, then finishing them by poaching in water? I smoke long enough to get some good color, sometimes with nothing more than a smoke tube, then finish them in sous vide to 152°. Once they hit that temp, they go in a cold/ice water bath, and I hang them at room temp to bloom. Poaching can also be done on the stovetop if you don't have a sous vide cooker. I think chopsaw chopsaw finishes a lot of his on the stovetop.

Reactions: chopsaw
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky