Making Bacon

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

gord.edwards

Original poster
Dec 14, 2017
Hello All

Been following Bearcarvers steps for making bacon for a few years now with great success. About to do another batch but in bit of a conundrum....my smoker is currently in storage so planning to cure as per normal and then put the pork belly in the oven after 9-10 days to finish. Was considering using liquid smoke at the curing stage to impart a bit of flavour but unsure how much to use. Any insight you guys may have going this route would be much appreciated. Thank y'all

Steve has a good idea above .

Was considering using liquid smoke at the curing stage to impart a bit of flavour but unsure how much to use

If I use Tender Quick to cure pork loins , I add a cap full of liquid smoke to the bag for about 3 lbs. of meat . Comes out great , and doesn't last long . I still hang it in the smoker , but should work in the oven if that's your only option .

Reactions: gord.edwards

If I use Tender Quick to cure pork loins , I add a cap full of liquid smoke to the bag for about 3 lbs. of meat . Comes out great , and doesn't last long . I still hang it in the smoker , but should work in the oven if that's your only option .
Thanks a lot. I think I'll give this a go. I'll let ya know in a couple weeks how it turned out

Smoker in storage?! Mine gets used more often now than ever! :emoji_laughing: I know liquid smoke is kinda considered taboo but I am of the opinion it is used on nearly all commericl bacon and you might actually have a better outcome with it than you expect. Don't think you even need to use the oven but maybe the fridge to dry it out a bit.

OK , been trying to reply .
That amount of liquid smoke to the bag is where I like it . Should be fine , just don't get to heavy handed because it can be strong .
I also have a mesquite powder that I use in rubs . It has " smoke flavoring " listed as an ingredient .
Next time I cure something I plan on trying it in the rub .

Reactions: gord.edwards

This would work great, if you have 2 good eyes!!
The first time I read this I used my partially opened Left Eye, and I thought, "Holy Crap that's a lot of Liquid Smoke!!!!" That's because I thought it said "I add a cup full of Liquid Smoke".
The second time it said "Cap" instead of "Cup". Much Better!

Bear

This would work great, if you have 2 good eyes!!
The first time I read this I used my partially opened Left Eye, and I thought, "Holy Crap that's a lot of Liquid Smoke!!!!" That's because I thought it said "I add a cup full of Liquid Smoke".
The second time it said "Cap" instead of "Cup". Much Better!

Bear
That partially open left eye will catch you every time lol. Thanks for the confirmation on the liquid smoke

OK , been trying to reply .
That amount of liquid smoke to the bag is where I like it . Should be fine , just don't get to heavy handed because it can be strong .
I also have a mesquite powder that I use in rubs . It has " smoke flavoring " listed as an ingredient .
Next time I cure something I plan on trying it in the rub .
Sounds good. I may have to incorporate that at some time

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky