Making bacon and making up for pics

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

malisaw

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jan 13, 2011
Gainesville, Ga USA
OK, time to make up for not providing pics last time.  Making about 10lbs again (I have a small smoker - masterbuilt 7 in 1).

Here's what I'm starting with:

eb237247_100_0127.jpg

Kinda thin - but it'll still taste great using Bearcarvers recipe.  1 Tablespoon of Tenderquick per pound on each slab, lovingly massaged in.  Slightly more than 1 Tablespoon of Dark brown sugar per pound:

One slab ready for the bag:

67606040_100_0128.jpg

Both slabs w/cure, brown sugar - bagged and heading for the fridge:

7ce8d93c_100_0129.jpg

Back in just over a week!

Looking good!

I am gonna start with the 14 pounder tomorrow.

Have a great day!!

Craig

Looks like a great start!!

Finished the cure so got it out and rinsed plus ice water bath for 30 minutes per Bears excellent instructions.  Patted dry and sprinkled with black pepper, onion powder and garlic powder - slept comfortably in the fridge all night and ready for smoking.  Decided to use the box method rather than haul the smoker up from the depths to the back porch this time.  Lit both sides & the middle of the amns and tossed a box over it:

92843360_100_0132.jpg

ran it through two smokes (total time about 11 hours as I had trouble getting the middle going the 1st run through:

d5d97cfd_100_0134.jpg

Having learned much from my 1st round at bacon makin' -- I removed the skin, folded the bacon in half (fatty side out) and tossed them both in a ziploc freezer bag to freeze harder than my head prior to slicing.  Today I'll slice it up, vacuum bag it and then fry a little up to snack on.  Back with the final pics a bit later in the day.

Thanks!

Ben

Looks GREAT, Ben !!!

This is a good one to show guys who don't own a smoker that all you need is a little cure, some sugar & seasoning, an AMNS & some sawdust, and you can make GREAT BACON !!!

Thanks,

Bear

Thanks Bear - and no doubt regarding not needing a smoker.  Actually - because of the type of smoker I have (bullet type, masterbuilt 7 in 1) it is actually much easier taking a rack out of the kitchen oven, setting it on bricks/something - I used some wood blocks I had...sticking the AMNS on something safe and drop a box over it with a couple of holes around the sides (toward the bottom is where I decided so air would circulate near the AMNS) and a few holes on top.

Here's some sliced and sealed -- showing just a little because of my limited counter space.

54b52ddf_100_0137.jpg

Can't wait any longer!!!!

da248c96_100_0138.jpg

I like my bacon crispy!!

74160dd4_100_0139.jpg

Oh man - I'm not sure I'll ever get past Bear Carvers bacon recipe to experiment with anything else...  Does life (or bacon...is there a difference?!) get any better than this!!

Back to work, got a lot of slicing/bagging and cleaning up to do before I can settle down and eat more bacon!

Thanks for looking - and thanks for the forum/help/information, etc.

Egad that looks good!

I think I might have blown another salivary gland out!

It was that last picture that finished me off !

Bear

Looks awesome!!

Us Ga guys are getting this bacon thing down!!!

Craig

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky