Maintaining temperature

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bloxer

Original poster
Apr 18, 2008
Torquay England
Hi all
Need to pull on your experience.
Currently using a chargriller with side smoke box.
Can any one tell me the best way to maintain a 225/250 temp to smoke ribs.
Is it a mixture of wood and charcoal , just wood ?
What works best for you guys

Thanks

Rob

Attachments

• maxresdefault.jpg
    maxresdefault.jpg
    194.6 KB · Views: 7
I don't have your smoker but do have side fb smoker. I try to keep two size splits handy. One size of my forearm and the other my wrist or so. Over time I've learned which to add when. And it has been covered before but 225 to 250 is fine for about any or all smokes.

ive got one too. mostly controlling air flow via the vent of the side of the firebox and the one at the top of the stack. I've also jerrey rigged a piece of metal on the firebox door that can prop it open about an inch, using these 3 methods or a combintation of them, and depending on the size of the firewood put on the fire. I can get a decent amount of temp control whether it be wood charcoal or a combo. seem to think an all wood burn is more stable with less temp fluctuations, at least that is how my last smoke went.

when I used one I mostly used charcoal for heat for probably the first 2-3 hours and wood chunks for smoke, by then I would have a good bed of coals and then just add wood chunks as needed.

I used a duo for a few years. Fire control was difficult - be prepared for a lot of babysitting. On the plus side it was a good learning experience and I did manage to put out some really good Q.

Chris

Reactions: smokebuzz
It takes time, a learning curve. Use different sized pieces of wood at different times , need more heat or coals, use small, need to cruise use larger pieces. It will take you several cooks, paying close attention to figure out what you need to do. Good luck..

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky