Mailbox Mod Question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tdd3748

Original poster
Nov 17, 2013
I am wanting to do some cold smoking on bacon, cheese, etc.; so I am looking at doing the mailbox mod to keep temps low in the smoke box.
My question - should I be concerned about using galvanized mailbox and step away and look for steel, stainless steel or aluminum?

Thanks to all who respond.

Nope, the temp in the mail box shouldn't get over 100 degrees in most cases. So out gassing should not concern you. I just washed mine first with soap and water to remove any oil residue. I wouldn't choose a plastic mail box though!

Turn your pellets into dust to keep the temp even lower... Dust burns pretty cold... Since doing this, I smoke everything with dust... I prefer the smokey flavor it imparts over pellets...

Nope, the temp in the mail box shouldn't get over 100 degrees in most cases. So out gassing should not concern you. I just washed mine first with soap and water to remove any oil residue. I wouldn't choose a plastic mail box though!
That is what I was thinking but wanted others to confirm, Thanks

Reactions: Steve H
Turn your pellets into dust to keep the temp even lower... Dust burns pretty cold... Since doing this, I smoke everything with dust... I prefer the smokey flavor it imparts over pellets...

I am going to give this a try, Thank you sir

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky