• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Mailbox Mod Question

tdd3748

Joined Nov 17, 2013
I am wanting to do some cold smoking on bacon, cheese, etc.; so I am looking at doing the mailbox mod to keep temps low in the smoke box.
My question - should I be concerned about using galvanized mailbox and step away and look for steel, stainless steel or aluminum?

Thanks to all who respond.

Steve H

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Feb 18, 2018
Nope, the temp in the mail box shouldn't get over 100 degrees in most cases. So out gassing should not concern you. I just washed mine first with soap and water to remove any oil residue. I wouldn't choose a plastic mail box though!

daveomak

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Nov 12, 2010
Turn your pellets into dust to keep the temp even lower... Dust burns pretty cold... Since doing this, I smoke everything with dust... I prefer the smokey flavor it imparts over pellets...

tdd3748

Joined Nov 17, 2013
Nope, the temp in the mail box shouldn't get over 100 degrees in most cases. So out gassing should not concern you. I just washed mine first with soap and water to remove any oil residue. I wouldn't choose a plastic mail box though!
That is what I was thinking but wanted others to confirm, Thanks

tdd3748

Joined Nov 17, 2013
Turn your pellets into dust to keep the temp even lower... Dust burns pretty cold... Since doing this, I smoke everything with dust... I prefer the smokey flavor it imparts over pellets...

I am going to give this a try, Thank you sir

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.