• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Maiden Voyage (WSM)

thestealth

Meat Mopper
Joined Jul 28, 2009
I ordered a Weber Smokey Mountain smoker last week. It arrived today. I knew it was coming, so I was anxious to get off work all day...then I remembered, dentist appointment.

That got me home about 1 1/2 hours later than I had anticipated....but I would not be deterred. It was a snap to assemble, 14 nuts and screws later, I have my very own black R2D2. I fired it w/ 10# of charcoal and 1/2 full charcoal chimney. Once it hit 190, I choked off 1 of 3 vents. 220, #2 got closed down. Once it hit 250, I've been tweaking down #3 looking for the sweet spot.

I'm just cooking a few chickens, so I don't mind if it starts to run a little hot, won't hurt the chickens any. For the first time, I put the squabs in a brine, so I am cooking them naked with some cherry wood. We'll see how they taste. 

All our home cookers...

a Brinkmann Smoke'n Pit, the WSM, a Thermos brand grill and on the end our old Kettle.

hexlobular

Smoke Blower
Joined Mar 25, 2011
Congrats on the new WSM!  Looks like a fine addition to your smoking arsenal.

Your deck looks like somewhere I'd want to hang out most of the day...

thestealth

Meat Mopper
Joined Jul 28, 2009
Thanks, so far I'm just tickled with it.

That's a deceiving angle (kinda like a myspace angle), it's long and skinny, like 8' X 50', but it is a great place to hang out and sip beverages. 

jirodriguez

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jun 5, 2009
Grats! Looks like you are off to a happy start with your WSM, the bird looks good!

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 22, 2009
Looks like a happy family of smokers. The bird looks good too!

porked

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Apr 2, 2009
Good looking bird, good looking arsenal, thanks for the post.

fpnmf

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
Joined Jul 19, 2010
Looking good!!!

Craig

Last edited:

thestealth

Meat Mopper
Joined Jul 28, 2009
Thanks guys!  Even though I've only got about 4 hours cook time on it, I was really pleased.  Out of habit, I checked it every 1/2 hour or so, it never changed.  Once I had it dialed it, 245 on the bottom grate and 260 on the top (per my digital therm), it just stayed there.  I can't wait to do a long smoke on it and feel like I could take a nap if I wanted.  I never, ever have had that confidence in my S'nP.  Don't get me wrong, I cooked up a lot of great grub off the S'nP, I just never fully trusted it. 

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.