Maiden run new OK Joe Highland

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ahakohda

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jul 29, 2011
St. Petersburg, FL
370F3CD1-F363-4682-86AA-3DB6A50D5B85.jpeg
Finally had a chance to play with my new toy.
After seasoning and sealing it up it was time to cook some duck.
I nailed the process down I think. It eats one hickory log every 30 min keeping temp between 225 and 255.

Reactions: uncle eddie
These are Ducks. Turned out mighty perfect.

As of foil. I lined bottom of the barrel for easy cleaning and it doesn’t affect smoke flow. I also wrapped two charcoal box grates into foil as an improvise heat deflector. Also worked perfectly fine.

I am actually surprised as to how smoothly this smoker operates. After reading all the stories I expected hard learning curve. Which never happened.
I also been watching few videos on fire management using wood logs and I think this might contributed to my easy day with new smoker.

Last edited:
Reactions: hawgrider
Looks great!
Like!

Was your fire charcoal plus the hickory log?

I have to smoke 20 pork steaks this weekend on the same type of smoker - that I have never used before. Not worried as long as my fire is good.

Reactions: ahakohda
These are Ducks. Turned out mighty perfect.

As of foil. I lined bottom of the barrel for easy cleaning and it doesn’t affect smoke flow. I also wrapped two charcoal box grates into foil as an improvise heat deflector. Also worked perfectly fine.

I am actually surprised as to how smoothly this smoker operates. After reading all the stories I expected hard learning curve. Which never happened.
I also been watching few videos on fire management using wood logs and I think this might contributed to my easy day with new smoker.
Missed the duck description. I use the same grill/smoker a wood fire is easier to maintain in those than charcoal.

So how was the skin on the ducks then?

Looks great!
Like!

Was your fire charcoal plus the hickory log?

I have to smoke 20 pork steaks this weekend on the same type of smoker - that I have never used before. Not worried as long as my fire is good.

I started with 3/4 chimney of lump charcoal. As soon as they were ready dumped them into firebox. And one log on top. Let it catch fire and burn a bit. Close the firebox and open air intake fully. Start monitoring temperature and as soon as it hits 235-240 close intake 50%. It may climb to 250-255. So adjust intake accordingly.

I use charcoal box and kept all the coals and logs on the side closer to air intake.

Your duck looks delicious!! Nice job on the first run with the new toy!

I bought an OKJ Highland as a second smoker. That’s good that you had an easy time with it. My experience has been finicky although it put out some good Q!

These two videos helped me a lot

I just trial ran the same smoker.. I didn't watch the fire management video until after i burned up a whole bag of briquettes (what I had laying around). I can hardly wait to burn it as you did, sticks in a stick burner. Bet the duck was fly.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky