Maiden Cheese Smoking Attempt

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SGMan

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Mar 12, 2019
P-Town Virginia
Well today was the day - The lady was ribbing me about smoking most everything BUT CHEESE. So, while at the store I picked up a few hunks on sale as well as some sticks.

On the racks were: Pepper Jack, Sharp Cheddar, Colby Jack, and Mozzarella.
I also did some sticks of Havarti and Poly-O Cheddar/Mozzarella
full

From there, they went into the MES30 with my AMNPS and MB Mod with Pecan pellets.
Temp was holding steady at around 76 degrees, and I planned to let them go for 2 hours on the smoke. It was at this time that I was reminded of my monthly VW club meeting... Dang it, now I cant babysit.

No worries, I only filled one row of the Amazen tray and that usually goes no more than 3 hours. (So hopefully a little 'extra' smoke wont totally kill them.)

Got home from the meeting and pulled the cheeses and into the vacuum bags and into the fridge for a couple of weeks to mellow.

full

full

At a glance, the Havarti sticks look to have taken a LOT of smoky goodness - 2 weeks cant get here fast enough for me to start sampling!

Reactions: SmokinAl and Jabiru
Nice work. Glad I spotted this thread. I am just about to do my First Smoked Cheese, thanks for the info PC Farmer, I will wipe and let dry before sealing.

From there, they went into the MES30 with my AMNPS and MB Mod with Pecan pellets.

Not sure how you have your MB mod configured, but I find if I run it though 8 feet of ducting, it mellows the smoke enough so that it does not need any rest time.

Reactions: SGMan
Looks real good!
Nice color!
And I agree with bregent, if you run the smoke thru some duct work, it will clean it & you can eat the cheese right away.
Al

Reactions: SGMan
Interesting... I *may* just have to sample some of the cheeses to see how they fared.

My MB does go through a couple of feet of hose to get into the smoker.
And I *did* separate my cheeses into separate bags.
1 each for the test subjects, and the rest (by cheese) in their own bags.
All vacc'd and in the fridge. Maybe today will be a test day to see how they taste!

Thanks everyone!

Okay, so I got antsy and tried a lone piece of havarti stick just to see how its advanced.

Still a bit harsh, but I can definitely see how it has mellowed (even over a week)
I think that the 2-3 week mark might in fact be the sweet spot (if not longer)

It wasn't terrible but it most certainly wasn't great either.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky