MAID-RITE SLIDERS

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Sowsage

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Oct 18, 2017
Maplewood OH
I have absolutely no idea what the real secret recipe is for MAID-RITE sandwiches is, but there's one about an hour or so drive from us and they are delicious. This recipe that i make tastes very very similar. Close enough that most people who dont have them on a weekly basis wouldn't no the difference. Ive done searches on the net for a copy cat recipe and there is all kinds of crazy stuff out there. Coka cola, root beer, mustard, soy sauce....the list goes on and on. None have been any where close to the MAID-RITE i have hade from the one close to us. For those of you not around the mid west area that have never had one. Its basically a loose meat sandwich. Kinda like a slopy joe but no tomato sauce. Just ground beef with seasonings on a steamed bun. Then you can top it how you like. American cheese,Mustard, onions, and sweet pickle relish are common toppings for these, but if you want ketchup you'll have to bring your own...its a big no no. At least at the one by us. Any way here is the recipe i use. Really simple and it always gets ate up quick!

MAID-RITE
1lb ground beef( i use the fatty stuff, the greasy part is what makes this sandwich)
1 cup warm water
2tbls white sugar
1tsp seasoning salt ( i use lawry's)
1/4tsp black pepper
1/4tsp white pepper

Mix all the sugar and seasoning in the warm water until dissolved.
Brown the meat and drain the fat. Its ok to leave some in, this makes for a good sandwich.
Add the seasoning mixture and bring to a low simmer untill most of the liquid has evaporated. Then scoop a pile onto a steamed bun and add your favoite toppings.
I like to asemble the sandwich first then set in my steamer pot until the cheese melts and the buns get soft.
Here is a few pictures

Seasoning mixture ready to go
20191122_090255.jpg

The browned meat and seasoning mixture simmering down
20191122_090056.jpg

I did sliders this time...mustard on the bottom and cheese on the top
20191122_085906.jpg

Then into the steamer pot to soften the buns and melt the cheese
20191121_214247.jpg

I didnt take a fancy picture of it in the plate this time..they didnt last long enough for that lol! Thanks for looking, enjoy!

Maid Rite in Ohio?!?! I thought they were based in Missouri or something. WOW. I see near Dayton. I will definitely check it out. They steam them like White Castle too? No idea.

Excellent looking sliders! Hated manwich when I was a kid and I've never heard of Maid-Rite but those sandwiches look outstanding. Mustard and American cheese as toppings is right up my alley. Washed down with a few cold ones sounds like a nice hearty meal!

Maid Rite in Ohio?!?! I thought they were based in Missouri or something. WOW. I see near Dayton. I will definitely check it out. They steam them like White Castle too? No idea.
There was one in piqua ohio in a gas station about 30 min north of dayton. Its pretty run down place.The one that im talking about is not listed on maid rites site for some reason. It is in Greenville ohio. Been there for a long time. They have the famous wall of gum. Yes a wall of gum. For the last 60 years people go through the drive through and stick there chewing gum on the brick wall of the building. Have no idea why this started but it stuck!( pun intended)

Reactions: zwiller
Excellent looking sliders! Hated manwich when I was a kid and I've never heard of Maid-Rite but those sandwiches look outstanding. Mustard and American cheese as toppings is right up my alley. Washed down with a few cold ones sounds like a nice hearty meal!
Thats exactly how i washed mine down last night! Lol

Reactions: SmokinVOLfan
Looks Great, Sow!!
I'm betting that's real tasty!
I wonder how it would be without the Sugar & Salt?:emoji_disappointed:
Like.

Bear

There was one in piqua ohio in a gas station about 30 min north of dayton. Its pretty run down place.The one that im talking about is not listed on maid rites site for some reason. It is in Greenville ohio. Been there for a long time. They have the famous wall of gum. Yes a wall of gum. For the last 60 years people go through the drive through and stick there chewing gum on the brick wall of the building. Have no idea why this started but it stuck!( pun intended)
Here is the wall. Lol!
Screenshot_20191122-110551_Google.jpg
Screenshot_20191122-110652_Google.jpg

Looks Great, Sow!!
I'm betting that's real tasty!
I wonder how it would be without the Sugar & Salt?:emoji_disappointed:
Like.

Bear
Thanks Bear! I bet you could use a sugar substitute and a low sodium seasoning salt and they would be great! What really pops out in the seasoning is the white pepper even though there is only a little bit it goes a long way.

looks like a tasty treat, i'd knock a few of those down. we have a maid rite company around here but it's more of a production plant for things like those frozen minute steaks like steak-umms,

We have a diner in town called "The Barn" that serves Maid-rites. Cool old style diner where the waitresses still call you 'Hun.

Looks great Sow . Heard of them , never had one . Have to try them .
I like to use venison as well from time to time. Just make sure there is enough fat added when you make them. It really should be a bit of a greasy sandwich. Let me know what you think when you get the chance to try it out!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky