Magic Biltong

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BGKYSmoker

Nepas OTBS #242
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Group Lead
Dec 25, 2010
Rineyville, KY
Trying this today or tomorrow. Will add pics later.

I'm using eye round, sliced about 5/8" thick.

Coarse salt 250g (kosher or rock salt)
Whole pepper corns 100g
Whole coriander 25g Optional (toast it for 5 mins. Dont let it smoke or burn)
Garlic flakes 40g Or course garlic granules.
Chilli Flakes AKA red pepper flakes.
Brown vinegar or white whichever you have on hand.

Now add the dry and mix in blender to whatever coarseness you like.

After meat is sliced, lay the strips in a glass or plastic container with a tight fitting lid. You will be flipping the strips later in the fridge.
Lay the strips in 2-3 layers high. Add just enough vinegar to cover the strips for 4-5 mins. After this time take the strips out and gently pat dry (not too much)
You have a second container with a layer of the mix....Right?
Now lay the first layer of the strips on the mix (just enough of the mix to cover the bottom of container) Apply more mix to the top of strips and repeat until you have around 3 layers. Cover and place in fridge. You will flip the container in about 6 hours. After flipping go another 6 hours (longer wont hurt nothing)
When its time to hook your strips, gently tip the container and drain the liquid. Now hook each strip and place in a area that has good air flow. You wont need much heat, your house heat is good enough.

Dry time should be 7-8 days.

Yes you can use a dehydrator set on very low. And if you think you need cure 1 then add to the dry mix. (your choice)

I cant wait to see the pictures! I love Biltong, my good friend married a nice South African lady who used to make Biltong by the bulk. It was a standard snack at my unit for a long time!

Sounds delicious! Had never even heard of it till seeing it on this site.

Ryan

Weigh day.
This will all get a course grind in the mill. Not pictured is red pepper and garlic grans.
I'm also going to add just a few drop of worcy sauce to the liquid.

Coriander.
20220125_092855.jpg

Toast the coriander just until you can smell it, dont let it smoke.
20220125_093000.jpg

Whole black peppercorn.
20220125_093222.jpg

I'm going with apple smoked kosher.
20220125_093533.jpg

I had to rig up a hanging area real quick.

20220127_095844.jpg

The biltong drying drum i made is still in the front bay of the 5th wheel....BRRRRRR to cold to go get it.

Reactions: TNJAKE
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky