made this but only getting charcoal smoke no wood smoke

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

scootie

Original poster
Jan 6, 2015
Illinos

I made this out of an olive oil drum and finally fired it up this past weekend. The only problem i had was that the charcoal was lighting too quick giving off that charcoal smoke/smell and was not getting the wood to smolding just burned too quickly. Question is why or what did i possibly do wrong. Tried using minion method. And yes i did have a lid on when i was trying.

The oil drum needs to be sealed "air tight" to the fire box portion... also the lid needs to be "air tight"... You want air to be controlled by the operator...

The oil drum needs to be sealed "air tight" to the fire box portion... also the lid needs to be "air tight"... You want air to be controlled by the operator...
Dave is spot on. Most people dont, but I ran a strip of lavalock gasket around the bottom edge of the pot on my jumbo mini to make it airtight. It worked wonders. Since you are using a drum, you could possibly run one around the inside lip of your kettle where the drum sits.

Also a 22" kettle will hold way to much charcoal for a minion(in my option). Butter to go with a snake for fuse method.
You may have to choke down on the top vent a bit too to help control burn rate, but only if the bottom vent is already closed

Used bottom vents to try control. I was wondering if maybe i had little too much air leakage maybe. Thanks all for your thoughts.

I should of said getting air leaks not too much. I will have to look into getting some sort if seal or gasket and try it again. Thanks again

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky