Made 3 separate 5 lb batches of summer sausage, can’t remember if I put Prague #1 in the last one.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

pinyon

Original poster
Jan 9, 2017
As my title says, I got distracted on my last 5lb batch of pork and elk and think I may have forgotten to put in my teaspoon of prague powder#1. The other two 5 lb batches are fine and all three are in my fridge waiting for one more grind and stuffing. So, I was thinking I should be able to tell after several hours if I forgot the cure just by comparing the color between the suspect batch and the two I know are OK? Or will I need to fry up a small patty and see if it is pinkish inside?

ya should be able to fry a little up and check color, or just smoke that separate at a higher temp and smoke it to 155-160 if your not sure if it has cure.

The cured meat will turn a little brown, and uncured will look the same as when you put it in the frig

I'd check it like the guys are suggesting and if it needed cure, I'd remove it from the casing, mix in the cure dissolved in a little water for a more even distribution, and then restuff...

Thanks very much for the advice guys, just checked my three batches in the fridge and they all have turned brown, so I think I am good. Will chalk it off to just a senior moment enhanced by three grandsons under the age of 9 asking questions! I plan on smoking them day after tomorrow in my MES 30 and finishing them up in a sous vide.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky