Lunchmeat processing weekend

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

JC in GB

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Sep 28, 2018
Green Bay, WI
I was tired of paying top dollar for mediocre lunch meats at the supermarket so I set out to start making my own lunch meats.

Here is my first serious attempt at lunch meats. I made picnic hams from pork cushion and an eye of round pastrami.

Picnic hams netted and ready for the smoker.

ham tied.jpg

Pastrami ready for the smoker.

pastrami 1.jpg

Ham and pastrami getting started in the smoker. Used cherry wood for smoke.

smoker.jpg

Ham out of the smoker and netting removed.

ham 1.jpg

Some test slices. Tastes great. Nice sweet and smoky. Can't wait for this on a sandwich.

ham 2.jpg

A couple slices of pastrami. I was so busy slicing and bagging, I had the whole pastrami sliced up before I realized I had no pics out of the smoker. Pastrami had a superb flavor. Can't wait to make some serious Reubens out of this. Eye of round worked out very well for this.

pastrami 2.jpg

My new Globe G12 slicer made short work of these meats. Beautiful thin slices. I am very happy with that purchase.

I found one of the hams that was not fully cured in the center. I was a bit confused by this as by my estimate, full cure should have happened four days prior to me removing the meat from the cure. but next time around I will inject the brine into the center of the meat. to make sure I don't get a repeat of that.

JC :emoji_cat:

That there is a whole lot of wonderful sammie meat JC. Nice job

Point for sure
Chris

Reactions: JC in GB
Awesome . Lunch meat is about my favorite thing to do . I also use pork cushion for ham . Comes out perfect .
I have a thread on turkey breast . Boned and rolled . Makes great sandwich meat .
Nice work bud .

All looks Great, JC!! Like.
That's a great idea. I make some lunchmeat, but not a whole lot at once like that.
I'll be making a 7 pound Eye Round in my Sous Vide in a couple days, mostly for "Rare Roast Beef" lunchmeat.

Yeah, anything cured thicker than 3 inches, I inject with cure (Some people say 2").
Nice Job!

Bear

Spot on! I don't eat a lot of lunch meat sammiches these days but it looks like I should. Good food never goes out of style.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky