lump coal for fuel

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

63falconht

Fire Starter
Original poster
Oct 13, 2010
Sacramento
I feel like i'm burning through lump faster than i should be.  All the bags I can find seem to be small shards of broken garbage that doesn't burn for long. 

Are there better brands with bigger chunks?

How can I tell if a bag is full of slivers instead of chunks?

Should I care?  I went through a whole bag in like 5 hours.  thought that was a bit extreme considering i was smoking under 250*

Yea something doesn't sound right. I pick up 40lb bags of Frontier Lump at Sams club each spring and each 40lb bag lasts me for months in my UDS. I have not run my UDS quite as much this year but I picked up 4 bags last May and I just dug into my 2nd bag a week ago. All lump is not created equal. What brand have you been using? The Frontier has nice big chunks. Check out this web site it has tons of reviews on lump wood and as you will see some burn hotter, longer, produce less or more ash etc.

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lump.htm

Reactions: jojo22
You can Make your own its fairly easy
explain "easy" please. I am a mechanical engineer, nothing is easy for me.
Chop wood

place in a metal pale with removable lid

drill 1/2" hole in the lid

start a fire in a pit

throw can in fire

I make a batch every time I have a fire in the yard and dump it in my Lump Bin.

I live in Philly so If I can do it anyone can...unless you don't have access to a yard or pit.

https://

sites.google.com/site/sqwibcooks/charcoal-retort

Above is a broken link to my Lump making, not sure if this breaks forum rules.

If you need any more info PM me

Used the Royal Oak today.  it seemed to go a lot farther and the size was more consistent.  wasn't a bag full of shavings.

Frontier brand is a good lump. You can also order it through Ace Hardware if you have one locally and pick it up when it arrives there. I've only had 1 bag out of a several hundred pounds I wasn't satisfied with and they corrected it. It's one of the better charcoals. Excellent for extended cooks.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky