Lump charcoal

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I’m the reason you guys can’t find it. And this isn’t all of it. I’ve got a few big bags to use up before I break into the boxes.

9FFE7628-C594-4673-AD82-1E26642A779D.jpeg

I got lucky and caught it on clearance at TSC and drove to a couple nearby and got a couple pallets of it super cheap.

B123B544-BFA0-4A06-8621-6A894EE1C8AA.jpeg

Reactions: Sven Svensson
Check your local grocery stores. I can always find high quality lump charcoal from small brands.

You're paying for FOGO and Jealous Devil marketing when you buy that overpriced hipster charcoal.
I've been there. I've used local(ish) stuff. That's what led me to think that its all the same. All crappy. Just like the royal oak stuff. (maybe minus the weird rocks)

I'm a few burns in and will never go back..... Call me hipster if you will.... but I've been there my friend.

Think I may start a Charcoal Anonymous group to help others. You're welcome anytime!!!

I can never find JD on sale locally.
Amazon has a good price...35 lb. bag for $39.97 or $1.14/lb...
I've recently switched to Masterbuilt lump from Wally world(when they had it. Seems it must have been a one-time buy-in for Wally world as I don't see it anymore.
Walmarts around me appear to have discontinued Masterbuilt, also. I have used their Expert Grill too, which was their store brand, but that has been discontinued, too...
I am making the switch to a local char oil called Timber charcoal out of Salem Missouri. 20 bucks for 20 pounds
I think around $1.00/lb. is a good price for good lump. Bad lump is still bad even at 25¢/lb. or less...

So, I’m prepping for the “told you so” that’s probably coming with this post, so be gentle…

I’ve used my Kamado hundreds of times. Typically twice a week, at least in the summer. Always with royal oak lump charcoal. Why? It’s cheap. It works. 🤷🏻‍♂️ was at Home Depot a couple weeks back and noticed that Jealous Devil was on sale, and it made it actually less expensive than the Royal Oak, so I thought I’d give it a try.

I now realize that I haven’t lived until today. My fam is big on the chicken wings and I have my method down pretty well. I did it think anything could make them better but there was an obvious improvement in taste. It really was substantial. The size of the lump is also very different and the density seems different too. But those wings…to die for! Gonna run another batch in a few hours but now I’m really interested in any recs…what’s your fave?

Went back to Home Depot and bought everything I could carry.
FWIW. Walmart (as much as I love the cultural experience), this weekend had the masterbuilt lump the same price as RO lump. $14.97 16/lb

Last year Wally World Expert Grill 30lb lump at $12/bg (bought 2-30lb) = $.40/lb was surprisingly good. Forearm sized pieces at the elbow 5" long, no stones. I use two coal grates criss crossed so no loss of unburned charcoal lump/briquettes through the grates. I bought one bag and was great so went and got another before sale ended. Maybe it was a good batch with that pallet. They had this summer double pks of 10lb of RO original briquettes at $9.98 =$.25/lb of pure crap. Can't light it with a weed burner only a charcoal chimney. Doesn't burn unless you have a pile, then it's fine so might as well get Kingsford blue bag at $.50/lb. I bought four double bags. Left over lump has been great. Left over RO briquettes crumble into coal dust so might as well burn it up to ash vs filling ash pan with charcoal. I've seen KJ lump at Lowes a year ago. I'll shop Amazon in a year on JD, B&B and others when I need fuel.

I've been there. I've used local(ish) stuff. That's what led me to think that its all the same. All crappy. Just like the royal oak stuff. (maybe minus the weird rocks)

I'm a few burns in and will never go back..... Call me hipster if you will.... but I've been there my friend.

Think I may start a Charcoal Anonymous group to help others. You're welcome anytime!!!
Your grocery store sucks. Food Lion and Piggly Wiggly have great charcoal. You should see what Greatwoods and Best of the West make for half the price of FOGO and Jealous Devil. Keep paying a premium price for a stone age product.

Last year Wally World Expert Grill 30lb lump at $12/bg (bought 2-30lb) = $.40/lb was surprisingly good. Forearm sized pieces at the elbow 5" long, no stones. I use two coal grates criss crossed so no loss of unburned charcoal lump/briquettes through the grates. I bought one bag and was great so went and got another before sale ended. Maybe it was a good batch with that pallet. They had this summer double pks of 10lb of RO original briquettes at $9.98 =$.25/lb of pure crap. Can't light it with a weed burner only a charcoal chimney. Doesn't burn unless you have a pile, then it's fine so might as well get Kingsford blue bag at $.50/lb. I bought four double bags. Left over lump has been great. Left over RO briquettes crumble into coal dust so might as well burn it up to ash vs filling ash pan with charcoal. I've seen KJ lump at Lowes a year ago. I'll shop Amazon in a year on JD, B&B and others when I need fuel.
What an excellent idea- Use two grill grates. That loss of unburned coal is the reason I chucked mine into the garage. Might grab another and try again with this brilliant solution!

Reactions: dr k
What an excellent idea- Use two grill grates. That loss of unburned coal is the reason I chucked mine into the garage. Might grab another and try again with this brilliant solution!
I've tried that. Problem is, the grates get blocked by small pieces of charcoal too easily so that adequate air can't get through to your fire. You might try tapping on the grates often to keep them clear. Good luck

Your grocery store sucks. Food Lion and Piggly Wiggly have great charcoal. You should see what Greatwoods and Best of the West make for half the price of FOGO and Jealous Devil. Keep paying a premium price for a stone age product.
I can buy Jealous Devil all day, every day, cheaper than Best of the West. Yes, FOGO is more expensive, but not twice as expensive...

Never heard of Greatwoods and can't find them on the interweb...

Reactions: 912smoker
Calm down son. I don't live in the south. We have substantially less pigglys out here and no wigglys.

I paid $16 a bag for 10, 20 pound bags of JD. If you can do better than that, then Kudos...but that beats everything I can find everywhere.

I use Frontier lump. Local Sams used to carry, but local Menards box store now carries it. Local Tractor Supply stocks it as well as Florida store for my winter needs.
I have to break a few of the larger pieces. I've welded cross bars in my charcoal grate and my chimney starters to hold the smaller chips.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky