Lump charcoal

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

babydoc

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Aug 13, 2022
Northern Utah in the Mountains
So, I’m prepping for the “told you so” that’s probably coming with this post, so be gentle…

I’ve used my Kamado hundreds of times. Typically twice a week, at least in the summer. Always with royal oak lump charcoal. Why? It’s cheap. It works. 🤷🏻‍♂️ was at Home Depot a couple weeks back and noticed that Jealous Devil was on sale, and it made it actually less expensive than the Royal Oak, so I thought I’d give it a try.

I now realize that I haven’t lived until today. My fam is big on the chicken wings and I have my method down pretty well. I did it think anything could make them better but there was an obvious improvement in taste. It really was substantial. The size of the lump is also very different and the density seems different too. But those wings…to die for! Gonna run another batch in a few hours but now I’m really interested in any recs…what’s your fave?

Went back to Home Depot and bought everything I could carry.

Attachments

• 0213336F-9733-4BD5-8B3D-032343508B53.jpeg
    0213336F-9733-4BD5-8B3D-032343508B53.jpeg
    253.1 KB · Views: 73
Ya know, this just highlights the element of subjectivity. I'm so happy the OP found his thrill. It has been quite the journey for me to find mine. I was so excited to try out the JD as it came so highly recommended, I did not care for it at all. At least the one bag I have tried, had a very off putting smell to it. What I have grown to appreciate by using KJ Big Block is how wonderful it smells even before "mellowing out" and it adds a nice bit of flavor to anything I cook with it.

I did one cook (tri tip) with the JD and emptied my fire box. That said, if any JD lovers are in the Houston area, I have a bag that I would let go on the cheap. Heck, if there are any Big Block haters that want to swap... Im game! :)

Ya know, this just highlights the element of subjectivity. I'm so happy the OP found his thrill. It has been quite the journey for me to find mine. I was so excited to try out the JD as it came so highly recommended, I did not care for it at all. At least the one bag I have tried, had a very off putting smell to it. What I have grown to appreciate by using KJ Big Block is how wonderful it smells even before "mellowing out" and it adds a nice bit of flavor to anything I cook with it.

I did one cook (tri tip) with the JD and emptied my fire box. That said, if any JD lovers are in the Houston area, I have a bag that I would let go on the cheap. Heck, if there are any Big Block haters that want to swap... Im game! :)
I've never tried KJ itself, so I really interested in trying. I love pretty much all of their products...so I'd assume its probably worth the try. Honestly I've only tried 2-3 different types, and when they all turned out about the same, I thought I'd keep with what was cheap.

Reactions: Cloud Chaser
I've never tried KJ itself, so I really interested in trying. I love pretty much all of their products...so I'd assume its probably worth the try. Honestly I've only tried 2-3 different types, and when they all turned out about the same, I thought I'd keep with what was cheap.
I definitely think the Big Block is worth a try.. in about a year for you after that score :) Honestly, if the JD is the one for you, i see no reason to deviate. I tell myself this every time I get to trying another option besides the KJ lately. There is something really special to it for me, even over FOGO. Then again, FOGO does live up to its hype which is clean... way too clean for my taste actually so all of my roads keep leading me back to the KJ Big Block. I agree, their products are amazing!

Fire up something nice my friend!!

Reactions: babydoc
Hmm. I rarely see any lump except Cowboy (which I don't care for) up here in the Seattle area. So please excuse me, but what is KJ Big Block and FOGO?

So, I’m prepping for the “told you so” that’s probably coming with this post, so be gentle…

I’ve used my Kamado hundreds of times. Typically twice a week, at least in the summer. Always with royal oak lump charcoal. Why? It’s cheap. It works. 🤷🏻‍♂️ was at Home Depot a couple weeks back and noticed that Jealous Devil was on sale, and it made it actually less expensive than the Royal Oak, so I thought I’d give it a try.

I now realize that I haven’t lived until today. My fam is big on the chicken wings and I have my method down pretty well. I did it think anything could make them better but there was an obvious improvement in taste. It really was substantial. The size of the lump is also very different and the density seems different too. But those wings…to die for! Gonna run another batch in a few hours but now I’m really interested in any recs…what’s your fave?

Went back to Home Depot and bought everything I could carry.
I've recently switched to Masterbuilt lump from Wally world(when they had it. Seems it must have been a one-time buy-in for Wally world as I don't see it anymore. I tried the "Expert Grill" store brand which burnt up like kindling. I found a full chute in my gravity feed lasted way less time than RO. big box house stores (HD and LOWES) haven't had anything enticing lately. I need to stock up before the South Florida gathering, so I'll be searching. budget is a necessity these days with prices out of control. (on everything)

I've recently switched to Masterbuilt lump from Wally world(when they had it. Seems it must have been a one-time buy-in for Wally world as I don't see it anymore. I tried the "Expert Grill" store brand which burnt up like kindling. I found a full chute in my gravity feed lasted way less time than RO. big box house stores (HD and LOWES) haven't had anything enticing lately. I need to stock up before the South Florida gathering, so I'll be searching. budget is a necessity these days with prices out of control. (on everything)

The MB lump is not bad for the price.

Reactions: 912smoker
That Masterbuilt stuff is actually is a similar price for RO. I'll have to try that too! Big lumps of charcoal.

Check your local grocery stores. I can always find high quality lump charcoal from small brands.

You're paying for FOGO and Jealous Devil marketing when you buy that overpriced hipster charcoal.

• Haha
Reactions: Cloud Chaser
I second JWFokker, that was hilarious!
Also check with your local Lowes and Home Depot. I find my favorite Charcoal and Pellets for my smokers at Lowes.

I'm not a regular lump user, but I have a bag of Bayou Classic sitting in my garage. Most pieces were good size, about a quarter of the bag were smalls, and I got 5 forearm sized pieces. I was happy with it. Best of all it didn't have any old furniture pieces or scrap metal in the mix.

Chris

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky