Lump Charcoal

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

TheLeroy

Original poster
Apr 15, 2020
I've been using lump about 3 years now and I find no matter the brand I always get 3 bags of shattered chips to 1 bag of actual lump. What is the secret to getting nice big chunks every time?

Attachments

• 20200415_181430.jpg
    20200415_181430.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 16
I don't like the cost of lump, though in California mesquite lump can be had for 30-40 cents a pound. Problem is the bag has everything from dust to hunks as big as your thigh. Tasteless briquettes work fine for me.
I wish lump was that cheap here. Up here a 17lb bag costs about $25...

lump charcoal is kinda hit and miss I had bought b&b before but recently bought 2 bags of royal oak 1st bag was about 50% lump and 50% dust 2nd bag I opened today probably 100% was no bigger than a golf ball any suggestions on a brand that is usually consistent size but it is certainly not royal oak

I have been experimenting with making my own lump charcoal. It is pretty labor intensive. I have to figure what size of wood chunks to start with.

Whatever fits in your second barrel than break it up after. I used to make charcoal I would make it at night considering I live in AZ. also at night to get the full effect of the colors as the gasses burned off.

Reactions: Fueling Around
I picked up a couple bags of B&B last summer at Walmart I think. I actually got it because it was on clearance, but I was surprised at how consistent the bags were. Yes, there were smaller pieces and chips as there will be with any prepackaged and shipped product, but not nearly as much as with the other brands. Can't find it anywhere locally now, and nowhere for the price I paid. I should have ordered a couple pallets of it when I had the chance!

Can't find it anywhere locally now, and nowhere for the price I paid. I should have ordered a couple pallets of it when I had the chance!

Yeah, this is a weird year with the coronavirus. I've been following charcoal prices since the spring. There were a few deep sales early on, before the lockdown, as retailers cleared their old stock. Since then, their stocks are nowhere near what they usually are in the summer. HD has a sale on 40 lbs of Embers charcoal briquettes for $10 through July 5th. The sale price is usually $8. Not a big whoop but not enough to get me out of the house.

I've been doing a LOT more hot n' fast smoking and grillin'. Might have to stock up on the mesquite lump that I can get for 30 cents a pound. Watched a video the other day of a guy smoking a 5 lb pork butt at 350F. Done in 3 hours. Reminded me of when I used to do them in the oven. Lump is PERFECT for that type of smoke. But, I'm rambling.

Happy 4th!

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky