Lump Charcoal - Do you have a favorite?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

randolph

Original poster
Jun 23, 2013
Chicago, IL
I'm about done with the BGE brand lump charcoal, 80% of the bag is smaller than a briquette.  Does anyone have a favorite that they use?

Thanks!!

The only lump I have used was Royal Oak so I don't have anything to compare it to.  The size of pieces was pretty inconsistent though.  In one bag a had a chunk that was pretty close to the size of a football.

Ozark Oak is what I keep going back to. I had problems with size in cowboy brand. Some as big as my head, I sent them a email and they said it is now made in Mexico. They were trying to make thing better. They did refund the price of the 4 bags I bought.

Happy smoken

David

Only lump I've used, and still use, is Best of the West. Started with their oak, but I think I like their hickory better.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4

I avoid lump all together.  I have used it several times and it seems like I either get the mini-pieces or I dump out a log!  Would just rather use the uniform briquettes.  Seems easier to control the heat.

So where do you guys get these different brands of lump? I hear buying it online and by the time the bags get delivered its more like powdered charcoal, and all they have at my local hardware and grocery is Cowboy Lump and I'm not real thrilled with it. I really don't care where they make it, but the quality really isn't there. 

So where do you guys get these different brands of lump? I hear buying it online and by the time the bags get delivered its more like powdered charcoal, and all they have at my local hardware and grocery is Cowboy Lump and I'm not real thrilled with it. I really don't care where they make it, but the quality really isn't there. 
I've been able to find Best of the West at Walmart, Home Depot, and a grocery store called Smiths, not sure if you've heard of/have Smiths in your part of the country. And yeah, some bags of lump turn out to be disappointing, but I'm a natural kind of guy and try to stay away from all things processed.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4

I use the Publix greenwise brand of lump.  Very good ratings if you check out lump charcoal rating sites and usually the most inexpensive.  Wish I could find some Royal Oak lump in the neighborhood, would love to try some.

If we knew your location we could help point you in the right direction where to get lump. 

I get mine at a local BBQ restaurant that sells supplies too. Also, check out the Naked Whiz website for reviews on all types of lump.  Just Google "Naked Whiz lump" and you'll find it.

Bought some "Wicked Good Lump Charcoal" (from Maine) in a Job Lot Store - because I couldn't pass by the name and it was a HUGE bag for a very low price. It turned out to be really nice stuff - I guess you could even call it Wicked Good! I did grope around the bag, and shake it a bit, to pick my bag and make sure I wasn't buying dust and crumbs.

Lately I've been getting Best of the West Mesquite lump at Sam's club.  Under 8 bucks for 20 pound bag, burns good and a nice mix of sizes with not a lot of tiny pieces

U buy my royal oak at menards. I also use the fondling method lol pick the bag up flup it feel pieces etc lol

If you have a Cash & Carry (resteraunt supply store) in your area they have a 40 lb. bag of Lazzari for about $14. Some of the pieces are as big as your for-arm, I usually have to break up some of the big chunks with a hammer.

I buy a lot of Royal Oak lump at Walmart, but you'll need to buy a bunch of bags now if you use it over the winter because by the end of August they won't carry it anymore. When I'm inclined to travel I buy the best I've used, Nature's Own by Basque, all Canadian hardwood. Sometimes I drive into Boston to the Brookline Ice and Coal Company, they carry Nature's Own plus they have wood chips and chunks of all varieties Look for them online.

I would buy briquettes if I was going to pave the driveway or some such thing, yuck.

Cowboy is scrap from building projects, plywood, pine, metal, insulation, drywall, check out TheNakedWhiz.

Last edited:
Just added.....Chicago...what's the BBQ Restaurant, I"ll have my Brother in-law bring some up the next time he drives as he lives in Louisville.

Thanks

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky