Low temp pork shoulder

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Fromthenorthwest

Original poster
Aug 18, 2019
Wondering if any of the gurus can help me out...So i set smoker up to 210 with a pork shoulder, get back 7 hours later and the smoker temp had dropped to 180 degrees. I hadn't probed the shoulder until then, and the IT read 162. Does 7 hrs to get to 162 seem safe for an intact pork shoulder? Would appreciate any opinions!

My old MES did this to me. Well it read 225 but was only around 190. Took forever before I just ramped you the temp. I use to smoke them at 225 overnight but now with my Traeger I just wake up around 4:30 start shoulders at 225 for a couple hours then near stall I’ll wrap it. And bring it up to 275*. I’ve noticed for me atleast, I’d rather do that and let them rest for 2+ hours in foil rather than sit on the smoker longer

Reactions: Fromthenorthwest
Out of curiosity why do you try to cook at 210? Most folks set at a minimum 225 and honestly anywhere from 250 to 275 is ok for pork shoulder too imo. I will say i did shoulders yesterday I’ll be posting later. I’ve been turboing them at 275 -300 for the last year or so. Did these at 250 and the results were A+. Likely to return to that lower temp.

Out of curiosity why do you try to cook at 210? Most folks set at a minimum 225 and honestly anywhere from 250 to 275 is ok for pork shoulder too imo. I will say i did shoulders yesterday I’ll be posting later. I’ve been turboing them at 275 -300 for the last year or so. Did these at 250 and the results were A+. Likely to return to that lower temp.

Jcam the reason i left it at 210 in the past I've left it around this setting (med on my smoke hollow electric) and after a few hrs temp has climbed up to the 250 neighborhood. Since i was going to be gone i didnt want to risk it getting much higher. Of course this time it did the opposite of what i expected and dropped. Maybe this was because the sun had been set for 2 or so hrs when i got home. Usually i stick around home when I've got something in the smoker but had some already made plans and decided to do the shoulder on a?whim yesterday afternoon. Just when i think i have my smoker somewhat figured out i realize i don't!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky