Love your Butcher, Denver Steak & Early Valentine

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
You got my mouth watering there, Jed. Just like where you are, tri-tip is elusive here, but chuck is everywhere. Here's a couple of pictures of where Denver steak/roast comes from...
And here's the same roast broken down into the 3 main parts. The chuck eye at the top and the Denver cut at the bottom with some stew meat on the right. The chuck eye actually is right next to the ribeye and is usually much cheaper...
Thank You Charles! That is an awesome breakdown. Its incredible how many hidden cuts there are as I learn more about processing. I appreciate the info!

Excellent looking meal!
As from now on you shall be named....."Ass Worm"!
Gotta love the hand done cards from the kids. I've got a shoe box full of them.
Jim
Haha, Thank you Jim . . . I'm thinking of adding it to my signature block, but not sure how that will look when trying to convince people that I'm an average cook though!
I do save the cards, they are fun to pull out, they may be my only sanctuary as we approach the teen years!

Awesome! I love the plate....and I really love that sandwich!!!
Thank you Sir, I gotta say that I loved that sandwich almost as much as the meal! My 2 year old boy was crushing it and ate half of it!

Everything Looks Fantastic, Jed!!
Mighty Tasty!!
And I Love the Card!!
Like.
Bear
Thank you Bear! I'm glad you got a smile out of it!

• Haha
Reactions: JLeonard
Very nice! I would have seconds for sure!
Thank you! You're welcome anytime!

Awesome meat, Ass Worm
I asked my local butcher to cut out a denver, but he forgets. I don't think it will be $6/# when thats what they get for stew meat these days
Haha! Thank you!
thirdeye thirdeye and Gonna Smoke Gonna Smoke gave great info on where it comes from and I did some reading on it & YouTube as well. From what was said in the other articles is not a lot of butchers like doing it or want to take the time, one article cited economics. Also its only a recent thing, "As for Denver steak, it comes out of a project of Beef industry in the 2000's, the Cattleman's Beef Checkoff Program, whose purpose was to find, identify and promote more affordable cuts of meat, coming from the Chuck section, who are actually high value cuts/products. The study turned out to be very successful as it trained butchers to harvest three new steaks from the chuck primal, who can be sold at premium prices. The three new 'invented' steaks were The Denver, Flat Iron and Teres Major. The name "Denver" has no historical significance and is actually a marketing brainchild of the program, unveiling the cut in 2009." My new found Butcher is younger than me, in his 30's, maybe he just learned the craft when this was new and exciting and stuck with it? I'm not sure, but can ask when I visit him next go. I will add that it's definitely not always $6/#. He takes a hit on prices of certain cuts occasionally to encourage people to try something new. Its also a neighborhood shop and a way to keep people coming back who aren't buying in bulk. Anyway, good luck! I hope you get a chance to try the cut!

awesome smoke, great use of the vortex. My spring purchase is going to be a kettle and getting the vortex to go with it.
Great move! I love the vortex and my kettles! I recommend looking at motocrash motocrash thread (2) Wings On New Grate | Smoking Meat Forums - The Best Smoking Meat Forum On Earth! He uses the Vortex, but got a Weber "Gourmet System" grate to keep from punishing his regular grate. I plan on picking one up soon . . . also a good explanation of Vortex/wing technique!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky