Lots of Jeff's Rub & Sauce

Discussion in 'Sauces, Rubs & Marinades' started by cmayna, Jul 5, 2014.

1. cmayna

cmayna Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Was getting a little low with the sauce, so yesterday I made a nice batch of it, partially filling 2 recycled catsup containers. Note that I partially fill them so the sauce will mix well when I shake the bottle. What? I'm running out of Jeff's rub as well? Better make some so I don't run out of it during dinner's prep.
    [​IMG]

Decided to try 5oclocksomewher's Chicken Thighs w/Jeff's run and Sauce receipe. The trick for me was to smoke the chicken at the same time I'm doing some of Flash's Onions. I coated all with the rub, then towards the end, brushed the sauce on half of the pieces. 5oclocksomewher's original post: http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/165388/chicken-thighs-w-jeffs-rub-sauce
    [​IMG]

Here's my first onion attempt using some of Flash's ideas. Sweet onions cut in half, slightly cored, topped with butter, bullion, garlic.[​IMG]

Smoked the onions for 3.5 hours at around 250*. Introduced the Chicken pieces to the smoker about 2 hours into the program so both can come out together. Yes, I raised the temp to an average of 275*
    [​IMG]

Finished product. Couple thoughts:

Onions: I mistakenly used some beef bullion powder. Should have used chicken bullion and far less than what I used for I thought the centers of the onions were too salty. Also they were just a tad under cooked, but we easily consumed the lot.

Chicken: Overcooked with an IT that reached 190* but still digestible. Probably because I had the chicken on the grills instead of being in a pan like how 5oclocksomewher did it. My favorite was the pieces that were smothered with the sauce.
    [​IMG]

Thanks to both 5oclocksomewher and Flash for posting recipes, pics, etc. Thanks to Jeff for offering such wonderful rub and sauce recipes.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2014
  2. bmudd14474

bmudd14474 Smoking Guru Staff Member Administrator Group Lead OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Im glad that you adverted a crisis and made more sauce and rub.

Food looks great. I really love the onions.