Loss of Temperature

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
So I've done some tear down. I found a little gunk in the tube right where the regulator connects in but otherwise am not seeing a ton of stuff in here. I'm going to run a wire through the burner holes and see if I can fish anything out

Can you guys tell much from these pics?
GALLERY]

I have taken all of it apart and brushed it. I used wire to go through every burner hole to make sure it passes and I did remove the mesh on the opening and clean it all up. See attached photo

I then ran compressed air all around. I guess it's time to reassemble and put on a new regulator to see if we are good to go?

Also pressure washed everything from the box to the pans and got the lion's share of the soot out. Going to let everything dry overnight before I reassemble

I'm not sure if I found a problem area or not so I am going to go ahead and get a regulator with a gage because I want one anyway

After total reassembly and a new regulator, I now have after about 15 minute intervals, temps of 280 with medium heat on my external thermometer (not on the door) and 214 on low WITH all components installed and water in the pan

In short, I'm smoking again!

How is the Flame looking? Blue is the goal but a flicker of yellow is ok. You can look at the Needle Valve Modification for greater control and a broad range of temps...JJ

I get some yellow at upper medium.... Nice and cool blue at lower temps [emoji]128522[/emoji]

On the inlet end of the burner tube, there 'should' be a metal cap with butterfly wing shaped cutouts in it. Those cutouts correspond to holes in the burner tube to allow air to get in and mix with the fuel gas.

In the diagram below, that metal cap is identified as an 'air shutter'.

If you can't find anything on the tubes that turns to regulate air flow into the tube, you might have to just learn to deal with what you have.

On the inlet end of the burner tube, there 'should' be a metal cap with butterfly wing shaped cutouts in it. Those cutouts correspond to holes in the burner tube to allow air to get in and mix with the fuel gas.

In the diagram below, that metal cap is identified as an 'air shutter'.

If you can't find anything on the tubes that turns to regulate air flow into the tube, you might have to just learn to deal with what you have.

Thanks!!!
Yes, I found it.i set it to "full open" ... The two cutouts are centered over the holes in the tube.

Reactions: hillbilly jim
You're in Floyd, VA? I'm near Winston Salem! You should have just drove over and fixed it haha!

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky