Lord Have Mercy...I think I'm about to get my internet back!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SherryT

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Dec 23, 2017
Crawford AL
ATT internet has been out since Friday morning...the only light on my modem has been an ugly red "you ain't got NUTHIN" light. The thing started lighting up like a Christmas tree (ha!) about 30 minutes ago. It's still coming and going, but I think they're getting there...FINALLY!

I've been using my cell's hot spot to get online...not to heavy on data usage, but if I try to watch a vid or stream, I'll be out in no time.

I really cannot express just HOW much I despise ATT internet...the MOMENT I get another option in my area, I'm done with 'em!

Mine was out for about half of Friday. I'm with Comcast. Another option to look at is Starlink (Elon Musk) Satellite based internet. It's pretty popular with the off-grid folks. I had ATT with my old business. I HATE that company.

Reactions: MileHighSmokerGirl
They are all a nuisance at times.
Spectrum in Florida and pretty happy. MIDCO in Minnesota and not happy as 3x the cost of Spectrum for the same service.

Not shilling premier membership, but I burned out my old cell plan data pretty quick if I didn't log in. The pop-up ads are data hogs

Mine was out for about half of Friday. I'm with Comcast. Another option to look at is Starlink (Elon Musk) Satellite based internet. It's pretty popular with the off-grid folks. I had ATT with my old business. I HATE that company.

Starlink says they're "expecting" to be in my area sometime in 2023.

If I were 50ft closer to the road, I could get cable/internet (I tried!).

Verizon home internet isn't available in my area.

I had HughesNet years ago and it was HIGHLY unreliable.

Basically, if Starlink doesn't come through, I'm screwed.

We live in an area that has no cell signal and no internet options. I was able to get in on the beta testing for Starlink and we’ve been a fan ever since. The other day I was in a Teams meeting for work. When I finished up I realized my wife had been streaming Netflix and FaceTiming her girlfriend all at the same time, no delays or buffering.
At $110 per month it’s a little pricey but for us with no other options it’s been like welcome to the 21st century. 😂
Hope they get your area connected soon.

ATT internet has been out since Friday morning...the only light on my modem has been an ugly red "you ain't got NUTHIN" light. The thing started lighting up like a Christmas tree (ha!) about 30 minutes ago. It's still coming and going, but I think they're getting there...FINALLY!

I've been using my cell's hot spot to get online...not to heavy on data usage, but if I try to watch a vid or stream, I'll be out in no time.

I really cannot express just HOW much I despise ATT internet...the MOMENT I get another option in my area, I'm done with 'em!
I’m going with Starlink.

Speeds of 300+ mbs download and 50 mbps upload.

The hardware purchase is $599, service is $110 a month.

The satellite dish has a built in infrared heater so it works well in a snow storm. The surface wicks rain right off so it works well in a rain storm too.

Plus it is portable and you can take it with you wherever you go. (Just not while you are physically moving/driving.) but you can take it camping or out hunting. Pretty cool service.

hope it does come back up and stay up for you!! like stated all companies seem to have problems on and off too.

It was short-lived...up for about an hour and then it was gone again.

EVERY time it goes down, if you go to ATT's website and check to see if there's a problem in your area, it ALWAYS says "All Clear" even though EVERYONE I know in this area who has ATT is down as well.

Lying sacks of...

UPDATE

I am almost ashamed to admit this, but it wasn't ATT (this time, anyway)...the ethernet cable on my modem was dislodged "just enough" to disconnect.

After I got back from Mom's a while ago, I unplugged the power to the router, let it sit, but had the same results...nothing. I then went to unplug the ethernet cable and noticed it was VERY loose...pushed it back in, heard the "snap" and I had internet almost immediately.

Afterward, I remembered that when it was trying to come back up last night, one of my cats had just (rather unceremoniously, I might add) knocked the router over, but it didn't occur to me there might be a loose connection.

So now I'm feeling a LOT less tech savvy than I thought I was...sigh

I STILL despise ATT, though! :emoji_angry:

Funny progression of events sherry. Glad you got it figured out. I live in rural Tennessee and had zero access to internet except for Hughes net which is junk. 3 months ago I got a flyer in the mail saying Verizon 5g home internet was available at my address. Ordered it that day and wow it's lightning fast. 4 teenagers and everyone is streaming with no issues. Hope you get something good in your area soon!

Reactions: MileHighSmokerGirl
The only thing I miss living out in the sticks. Our electric co-op ran fiber years ago and I had exceptional internet. Moved to town 4 years ago and am stuck with comcast.

The only thing I miss living out in the sticks. Our electric co-op ran fiber years ago and I had exceptional internet. Moved to town 4 years ago and am stuck with comcast.
I have fiber that stops about a mile from my house. Problem here is I live right at the Davidson/Robertson county line so it's a dead zone as nobody wants to invest in a few people

Look into Point to Point Broadband. That’s what I have and it’s really pretty good.
I did that for a couple years, and it worked way better than satellite based internet. Since then, Spectrum has run fiber lines out here in BFE, so I have hardwired fiber straight into the house. Gigabit speeds are possible, but we don't need it, so I pay for a lesser plan, which is still faster than what I had.

Reactions: SmokinEdge
I have fiber that stops about a mile from my house. Problem here is I live right at the Davidson/Robertson county line so it's a dead zone as nobody wants to invest in a few people
"The government is here to help". prolly just a matter of time as the feds are giving grants to get every rural area connected with high speed internet. Only reason we have it out where I'm at is federal grants. The local cable company would have never done it on their dime.

Reactions: TNJAKE
Is that Cumberland Electric? I'm hoping they get to Portland, I would switch in a minute.

Reactions: TNJAKE
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky