Looking to upgrade my game - your thoughts?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

candurin

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jun 23, 2011
I’ve had a MES 40 for 5 years now (gen 2.5) and it gets a lot of use. We’ve really been enjoying all the food and now we’re ready to step it up.

I think I have it narrowed down to Yoder YS480, RecTec Stampede (590) orCampChef WW240.

We’re a family of 4 and don’t see us cooking more than 30lb of meat and that would be if we are entertaining.

I have a high heat grill with searing burner, so, any grilling/searing would be done there and not on the smoker.

From what I’ve read, Yoder has rust issues, rectec 590 can’t have a down draft and may have cold weather smoking issues (as a result I’d have to step up to the 700) due to vent placement and the CC Woodwind WiFi seems great but I don’t know about build quality (the app needs updating as there may be security issues).

So, I’m requesting any recommendations from the crowd. Thanks in advance!

I can vouch for the Yoder and I've read good things about the rectec. As far as rust on the Yoder what I've seen (and actually have encountered) is some rust but it hasn't affect the function of the cooker since it's built like a tank. This is meant sarcastically and at the same time is true - Yoder does send touch up paint with their smokers.......... IDK?

Good luck with your decision.

I have the RecTec 700. Couldn't be happier. All stainless steel, 6 year warranty. Customer service is outstanding. Yoder, from everything I read is a very good unit too. Don't think you'd go wrong with either.

I have a RecTec 590 and am very happy with my investment. I don't know about the down draft, but I've used it numerous times over the winter in Michigan and it never had a problem holding temps even in rain or snow.

I have the RecTec 700. Couldn't be happier.

Don't know that I've ever heard anything negative about the Yoder. Folks really love them but but I gotta chime in here. The RT 700 Bull is an amazing piece of equipment. Rock solid stable and will perform flawlessly in any environment. As stated above, their customer service is second to none. I waffled for months over whether or not to even buy a pellet grill, and if so, which one. I researched everything on the market and the Rec Tec came in the hands-down winner for me. Now that I have it, I've never looked back and only look ahead...at what I'm gonna be cooking next on it :emoji_wink:

Robert

590 for me. Used many times in the ND frigid winter and did find when up to temp, leave the lid closed and don't have issues. "Any" smoker is going to have a hard time if you don keep it closed, re-coup time is lost cook time.

I appreciate all this feedback!

It may be time to start looking for deals on the 700. It seems as though it doesn’t take up much more room than the 590. The extra $300 may be worth it in the long run.

It may be time to start looking for deals on the 700.

First place I'd check is the Rec Tec site. I ordered mine directly from them and they had some screaming package deals going, which I took advantage of. Don't know if they are still offering them or not but it's worth a look.

Robert

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky