Looking to make a new sauce need advice....

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ecto1

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Feb 22, 2010
Spring, Tx
My favorite soda is Big Red if you are not from the south it is a sweet citrus cream soda made in Texas and distributed mainly in the south and south west.  I started to think this would make a great base for a BBQ sauce for my pork products.  Anyone have any advice before I could follow or a base recipe I can start out with.  I will post my Recipe when I get it how I like it.  Thanks in advance for any help.

hey Ecto1

that sounds like a great start for a sauce - i have seen alot of recipes that use soda as a marinade or in the sauce itself.

since yer gonna be putting it on pork i would say you wanna use ketchup (or tomato paste) as your "thickening" base.  maybe start with equal parts Big Red and ketchup.  bring that to a simmer in a saucepan and see what you got!  just off the top of my head i would then add: brown sugar, a dab of yellow mustard, chili powder, coriander, cayenne, and season of celery salt.

since you hopefully will get some of that creamy flavor from the soda you could expand on it with hints of aromatic spices - i love clove, allpsice, nutmeg in my rubs & sauces (in tiny, tiny amounts)

goodluck and let us know how it turns out!

hey Ecto1

that sounds like a great start for a sauce - i have seen alot of recipes that use soda as a marinade or in the sauce itself.

since yer gonna be putting it on pork i would say you wanna use ketchup (or tomato paste) as your "thickening" base.  maybe start with equal parts Big Red and ketchup.  bring that to a simmer in a saucepan and see what you got!  just off the top of my head i would then add: brown sugar, a dab of yellow mustard, chili powder, coriander, cayenne, and season of celery salt.

since you hopefully will get some of that creamy flavor from the soda you could expand on it with hints of aromatic spices - i love clove, allpsice, nutmeg in my rubs & sauces (in tiny, tiny amounts)

goodluck and let us know how it turns out!
Thats a good place to start. I would cook down a bottle of the pop, to about 1 cup, then add a cup of ketchup, and some moleassess. You may or may not want any more sweetner in it, but try differnt spices to your likeing. may want to add some vinager,balsamic or red wine, or what ever suits ya.

We get Big Red up here, It's a mainstay during goose season, along with Sundrop soda.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky