looking to do a mailbox mod

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I received my Amazin unit the other day.  My turn next!

I may go postal!

DDR

Ok...trying the mod for the first time today. I'm doing a couple of chickens. I got everything set up and looks like im getting thin smoke out of the top of the MES...can't tell the color really. I put the Amazin on a small rack in the mailbox. I heated the pellets in the microwave and when that was done i let them heat up in the Amazin inside the smoker. Then i lit them using a heat gun. Got a good flame going and let the burn for about ten minutes. I'll check them in a bit and see how they are going. I didn't brine the chickens but filled the water pan with some apple juice. I figure with the MB mod i could use the water pan again. At least with the chickens it won't be a costly mistake. I'm gonna try some ribs for the 4th.

Ok...trying the mod for the first time today. I'm doing a couple of chickens. I got everything set up and looks like im getting thin smoke out of the top of the MES...can't tell the color really. I put the Amazin on a small rack in the mailbox. I heated the pellets in the microwave and when that was done i let them heat up in the Amazin inside the smoker. Then i lit them using a heat gun. Got a good flame going and let the burn for about ten minutes. I'll check them in a bit and see how they are going. I didn't brine the chickens but filled the water pan with some apple juice. I figure with the MB mod i could use the water pan again. At least with the chickens it won't be a costly mistake. I'm gonna try some ribs for the 4th.
Try sand or gravel in the tray...   skip the water...

How long in the microwave for the pellets?

How long in the microwave for the pellets?
One minute...took them out sitrred them and then another minute. So far they are staying lit. I have a steady thin smoke coming out of the top of the smoker

I d

Legs helped my AMNPS stay lit for the duration...

I saw that..I decided to try a small rack to place it on before i drill into the AMNPS. It seems to be working so far...I also have the MB elevated on a couple of bricks..the MB came with some holes in the bottom. I haven't drilled into the MB yet as I want to see if the holes that are in it are sufficient. I can always add more if needed

Please send me a chicken tittie! Yum [emoji]128176[/emoji][emoji]128074[/emoji]Looks awesome ! Points

I d
I saw that..I decided to try a small rack to place it on before i drill into the AMNPS. It seems to be working so far...I also have the MB elevated on a couple of bricks..the MB came with some holes in the bottom. I haven't drilled into the MB yet as I want to see if the holes that are in it are sufficient. I can always add more if needed
I had a couple of heavy duty paint stirrers and these chrome plated rods laying around. I notched the wood for the rods and used RTV silicone as a high heat glue. Leaving two holes open in the bottom of the mailbox close to the hinge is all I needed. Getting the Amnps up off the bottom of the mailbox is the key.

-Kurt

Reactions: ddrian
I had a couple of heavy duty paint stirrers and these chrome plated rods laying around. I notched the wood for the rods and used RTV silicone as a high heat glue. Leaving two holes open in the bottom of the mailbox close to the hinge is all I needed. Getting the Amnps up off the bottom of the mailbox is the key.

-Kurt
I like that idea....i just took apart a rack thingie that we used to hand from the shower head...cut on the the racks off and used that as i didn't have anything else laying around. It stayed lit till i was done....i had about a 1/4 cup of pellets that i separated from the ones that were smoking. 

If you have black pellets remaining, you are lacking oxygen and are making charcoal and creosote.....   Pellets like below are a complete burn...   clean smoke.... and good flavor.... 

That's how my pellets look when I'm done smoking (all ash.) I've never made charcoal with pellets. That's with no holes in the mailbox door and the vent half open. Sometimes after a six hour smoke I find that it's not as smokey as I expected usually with fruit woods. I am finding that I may prefer the Team 275 method better than smoking under 240*F. I like the bark better and smaller heat swings for some reason with the stock Mes controller. My Gen 1 can get to 278*F but averages in the 260's when maxed.
-Kurt

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky