Looking to buy a flat top. Any input?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SmokingUPnorth

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Dec 7, 2017
Michigan UP
Hi everyone. I’m finally gonna pull the trigger on a flat top and after reading a lot of posts on here I decided on the Blackstone 36” pro series because of the lid and look of it........ Well I can’t find it anywhere so it looks like the next closest thing is the 36” with either the accessory side shelf or the 36” with the front shelf. I can’t really tell a difference between the two as far as grills, just a little bit different set ups. I also looked into the camp chef but really like the grease tray in the back of the blackstone. My questions are 1. Does anyone know of anywhere that has the pro series in stock still, 2 for blackstone or flat top owners in general is there anything you like about yours that you wouldn’t want to be without. Or something you wish you had? We have a family of 5 could probably get by with the 28” but after learning the hard way with my first smoker (mes30) I’m opting for the bigger one. Or is there another flat top I’m overlooking

Reactions: JLeonard
I have the 36" for just three of us and still need room some times depending on what I am cooking. The grease "dump" in the back is one thing that I would want. Buddy has a older Blackstone with the grease trough in the front and that is horrible. Grease pops and hits you in the arms and the front of your clothes.

You can get the 36" one you saw. And get the hood afterwards if you can't find the one that includes it.

Thanks for the input guys. Just watched a comparison on the two. And now thinking maybe the camp chef 600. I like the idea of the wind guard, the folding shelves which is big as far as storage, and looking at the grease trap I think I like it in the front more. Not really sure why.

Griddles are awesome, no matter which one you get. The BS with the air fryer is certainly an interesting option.

I have the 22" BS and really like the grease draining out the rear, tho it's just big enough for the two of us. RAY

Reactions: Steve H
I have a small 17" blackstone and a 36" camp chef. I prefer the rear grease trap. I should have bought the pro model as the steel lid is easy and could also be used to quickly steam melt cheese on the burgers. I do like the camp chef as it performs well but the fold down lid would have been nice.

I too am looking to pull the trigger on a Flat Top.
Blackstone is the big name in the game but seems the biggest complaint is Temp Control. Lots of videos with BS's running 350 on LOW. Yes you can turn a burner On and Off but that is not optimal.
The Camp Chef FTG600 is nice with a greater range of temp control and is convertible to a Gas Grill, but is more expensive, a few inches smaller in width and does not have a Hard Cover available. You have to go aftermarket and pay around $100 plus shipping for a custom made cover.
The Pit Boss 4 burner Deluxe has side shelves that fold in to make a hard cover. Not available on the Standard model. PB has the best 5 year warranty. An unusual U-shaped burner allows for the front grease drain, but by nature of the design does not get as hot as the other 3 to the left. This gives a great Holding Area but you lose some High Temp sear real-estate. The last issue is the PB Deluxe is Out of Stock everywhere.
It would appear that the Blue Rhino Razor is the same as the Pit Boss Deluxe.
The Char-Griller Flat Iron 4 burner has a basic unit, one model with a removable lid, one with a hinged lid and a extra fancy hinged lid and a cabinet cart. The Char-grill Flat Irons have a front grease catch, individual burner igniters and unlike some other brands, the burners are protected from wind with an enclose bottom and some wind deflection in the gap between Griddle top and burner base. A nice feature running low temps on a windy day. MENARDS carries all 4 Char-Grill models.
I'm leaning toward the Char-Grill with removable lid. I can get the best price for this model

All these Griddle are nicely built with assorted features and prices. I dont think you can go wrong with any of the them. The deciding factor, what do you like about each, understanding and managing individual quirks and which can you get the best Deal on!...JJ

Some great info here! I'm still on the fence of getting on... I want one, just don't know if I need one. Or if it will just end up sitting around after awhile.

Ryan

I have the pro series 28" and I have really enjoyed it. With a family of 5 it works great. You have to maneuver larger cooks at times that on a 36" you may not have to, but not a big deal. I bought some wind shielding off of Amazon for about 28$ and they work fine. I really like the lid and cabinet inside.

I vote 36", get 1 with the lid even if you have to wait/order , its worth it and if you don't you may never get 1 , gifted my 36" to my son this past weekend,

Thanks for all the input everyone especially chef jimmyj chef jimmyj I’m gonna wait for next week and see between the camp chef and BS of there is a Memorial Day sale. If not I think the folding shelves are gonna too the rear grease trap for me, and I’ll have to get the camp chef.

Reactions: chef jimmyj
Have a 28 inch blackstone my wife got me for an early bday/Father's Day gift. Both are in June but the $149.99 she couldn't pass up. Used it last weekend for simple dogs and burgers for my little guys belated bday party. Managed to feed 20+ people no problem.

Reactions: SmokingUPnorth
I too am looking to pull the trigger on a Flat Top.
Blackstone is the big name in the game but seems the biggest complaint is Temp Control. Lots of videos with BS's running 350 on LOW. Yes you can turn a burner On and Off but that is not optimal.
The Camp Chef FTG600 is nice with a greater range of temp control and is convertible to a Gas Grill, but is more expensive, a few inches smaller in width and does not have a Hard Cover available. You have to go aftermarket and pay around $100 plus shipping for a custom made cover.
The Pit Boss 4 burner Deluxe has side shelves that fold in to make a hard cover. Not available on the Standard model. PB has the best 5 year warranty. An unusual U-shaped burner allows for the front grease drain, but by nature of the design does not get as hot as the other 3 to the left. This gives a great Holding Area but you lose some High Temp sear real-estate. The last issue is the PB Deluxe is Out of Stock everywhere.
It would appear that the Blue Rhino Razor is the same as the Pit Boss Deluxe.
The Char-Griller Flat Iron 4 burner has a basic unit, one model with a removable lid, one with a hinged lid and a extra fancy hinged lid and a cabinet cart. The Char-grill Flat Irons have a front grease catch, individual burner igniters and unlike some other brands, the burners are protected from wind with an enclose bottom and some wind deflection in the gap between Griddle top and burner base. A nice feature running low temps on a windy day. MENARDS carries all 4 Char-Grill models.
I'm leaning toward the Char-Grill with removable lid. I can get the best price for this model

All these Griddle are nicely built with assorted features and prices. I dont think you can go wrong with any of the them. The deciding factor, what do you like about each, understanding and managing individual quirks and which can you get the best Deal on!...JJ
Hey Jimmy, where would you go for the custom hard cover? Do you know if they make it a lift up as opposed to taking the whole thing off each time?

There may be other sources but this company does some nice work, and they make a Hinged cover for the Blackstone and Camp Chef FTG600...JJ

Reactions: bigfurmn
I have the Camp Chef FTG 600 that I like very much. Performs well, and never had any problems.

That said, if I was buying now, I’d look very hard at the new Gorilla Primate. It has a built in hinged hard cover, and converts to a gas grill with the working cover. Looks like a quality unit to me.

Last edited:
I went with a Waring pro electric for my griddle so I could stay inside and crank out breakfast in jammies in the middle of winter.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky