Looking for help on Finnish Ryynimakkara

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mj1angier

Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Jan 19, 2022
One of the bartenders at our favorite places is from Finnland and we got to talking about sausages and one she like was Ryynimakkara

Wonder if anyone has made it. Trying to give her a little bit of home style food.

I talked to her again today and she also told me about mustamakkara, a blood sausage. If I can find the pork blood, I will give it a shot too.

I talked to her again today and she also told me about mustamakkara, a blood sausage. If I can find the pork blood, I will give it a shot too.
Okay so I gave this one a try yesterday. I had make do on some of the items in it:
Blood- could not find it fresh and best I could do was a odd block of frozen pork blood it at the Asian market. I cut chunks off of it and put in the blender with water. I made a blood like water with some grainy stuff in it..
Fat- only could find salted fat back. Cut the skin off and soak in water (changed every 15 mins) for 1 hr.
Rye grain- I thought I had some in my beer making grains but it was flaked rye. So I used unhulled barley.
Okay main items ready:
IMG_0506.jpg

Did not get photo of grind or mix. This is stuffed in 32mm collagen. Next time will use natural and 38mm or a bit bigger. Said to stuff loose because it swells.
IMG_0507.jpg

Baking in the oven. they do plump a lot.
Image-1.jpg

Cut and taste
IMG_0508.jpg

Okay, what I think:
Needs more meat/fat less grain. Needs bigger skin and natural. Flavor was a bit bland- not bad just... okay. I cut the salt in 1/2 because of the salted fat and that might have been too little. But I am old and so are my taste buds. Cooked it too long. I roasted in oven but think maybe poaching then roasting/ pan fry would be better..

Took them by the bar and had the girl give them a try. Just eating them cold without the lingonberry jam that goes with it got me a 3 min crying hug, lol.

This was a small test batch. I think about 2 more times and I will be close to the real thing. There is a small slaughter house about 20 min away that are some distant kin of mine. Going to try and run by this weekend and see if I can get better ingredients.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky