Looking for good casings tutorial

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bobrap

Meat Mopper
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Dec 9, 2012
Estill Springs, TN
Just opened my hog casings from Butcher - Packer and had to ask "Where's the instruction sheet?". Can someone please tell me the secret to unraveling that massive ball of casings. Must have spent 30 minutes just to get one length of casing. :emoji_cold_sweat: There's got to be a trick to it or is that the way it is. Don't seen to remember this problem with The Sausage Makers casings. Any ideas or help. Thanks. (no laughing, please):emoji_laughing:

Reactions: tallbm
Yea, there is a ring. And the biggest tangle I've ever seen. Hope the quality is better than the packaging. I see pre-tubed in my future.

Usually they are all fed thru that loop and then a slight over hand not to keep them from coming loose

I do the same as Adam . Stored wet .
1639406865422.jpeg

I put the mess I got in a plastic tub. About how much water and salt. (more curious about the salt)

I'm on my phone so it's hard to link stuff . Search for the thread how to handle natural casings by boykjo boykjo . That's what a lot of us go by .

Butcher and packer supplies high quality casings so you have some of the finest.
The ring color is an identification size. Just undo the knot and remove it. Its usually near the end of the hank. Here's some reading for ya. This should answer most of your questions and make things easier.

Boykjo

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky