Source for Natural Hog Casings

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

q3131a

Meat Mopper
Original poster
OTBS Member
Jul 19, 2005
Gulf Coast Florida
I have been using sausage maker's hog casings from Amazon. They are ok, but can be short pieces. They also have a tendency to burst. Anyone have a better casing/source? Which brand do you prefer?

I don't have a local butcher, so I need something I can have shipped.

Ditto.

Unless they have changed recently, prices include USPS Priority Mail postage. The website says they have a 6 month shelf life but I've used them without issue at over a year old when kept in the coldest part of the fridge. I prefer the "pre-tubed" casings which come packed in salt and slide right over the stuffing tube.

And all you need to do to prep them is to follow the included directions and rinse of the salt off and soak them in lukewarm water for 10 minutes. You'll hear all sorts of arcane, mysterious and laborious ways to prep casings but, for me at least, those are ingenious solutions to a non-existent problem. The 10 minute soak is all these need......

Before "retiring" full-time to our North Carolina home we used to have a farm not far from Syracuse Casings where we processed our own critters. The only sheep and hog casings we used were from Syracuse Casings.

As a matter of full disclosure, I was also deeply involved in fish and wildlife management at the regional and state level and was involved with a number of sausage making and game processing demonstrations and seminars at either sportsman's shows or in concert with state wildlife folks and Syracuse Casings gave us free casings for those events on more than one occasion.

I have used Syracuse for a few years now and am happy with the product, the last batch had some holes in the hog casing ( got sheep and hog ) I buy the pre-tubed ones, but that is just because they are separated already, I find they dont fit over my stuffer tube and slide off the sleeve as easily as they should and I also like to flush the insides out ( helps to identify holes prior to stuffing ) and soak them much longer than the 10 minute soak.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky