looking for dry rub for jerky

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I just did some from American Spice company and was completely satisfied.

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/151108/sweet-maple-jerky

In the past I have always just used the old standby, salt pepper onion garlic lea & Perins soy and a little sweet either brown sugar or honey.

But the above I was looking for a special, something different. Not bad, but wasn't the candy I was looking for. Although the neighbor brought me another Eye of Round and asked nicely.....LOL

Last edited:
How long do you let it cure this way wildcatter?
3-4 hours or until my patience runs out. Haha! It's only 1/4" thick, it doesn't take long and it's surprising how much moisture comes out. Then I give it a good rinse, let it air dry a little on the racks then hit it with the smoke. I do make sure to follow the recipe on the bag for cure/meat ratio, I've had some come out WAY too salty eyeballing it.
I should use Tender Quick, because Sugar Cure doesn't have nitrite and therefore doesn't cure in 4 hours. But I like the smoke flavor and more sugar, and I'm confident the salt, dehydration, smoke and fool's luck will keep me safe. You do what you think is right. :-)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky