Looking for BBQ sauce recipe with mild peanut flavor

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

patriot-bbq

Original poster
Jan 26, 2011
Heirloom BBQ in Atlanta has a Korean BBQ sauce that is red and has a mild peanut flavor.  A review of the restaurant also described the sauce as a "spicy Korean gochujang with its intense burst of chile, garlic and sugar."

The sauce is still red, thinner than average, mildly translucent.

Does anyone know of a recipe like this?  This is incredible and great with pulled chicken.

Gochujang is a fermented chili/bean paste available in Asian markets. I don't have a specific recipe but in addition to the Gochujang there is a combination of Garlic, Ginger, Sesame Oil, the peanut taste,Brown Sugar, Rice Vinegar and Fish Sauce but Soy Sauce can be substituted. Do a search for Korean Fried Chicken and you will find a variety of recipes with varying proportions of the above and will get you started to get what you are looking for...JJ

th

Last edited:
I would make a sauce like normal and add this Korean stuff and/or peanut butter. Tasting as I go to get it just right.

Maybe use the above mentioned Korean paste and add soy sauce and what ever seems missing as you go.

If you find a good combination tell us. I think it could be a good addition. Got me thinking of adding peanut butter to one of my sauces for chicken or pork.

Mel

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

Give this a try. Gochujang is pretty spicy, you may wish to start with less (2T) and add as desired..JJ

Korean BBQ Juice

1/4C Gochujang, Korean Red Pepper Paste

1/4C Soy Sauce or Fish Sauce

1/4C Honey

2T Mirin, Sweet Rice Wine

2T Rice or White Vinegar or as needed

1T Toasted Sesame Oil

1T Garlic, minced fine.

1tsp Grated Fresh Ginger

1T Peanut Butter (optional)*

Water as needed

Combine Gochujang, Soy Sauce, Honey, Mirin and Rice Vinegar.

Whisk until combined and set aside.

Add the Sesame Oil to a sauce pan and heat over medium heat.

Add the Garlic and Ginger and saute briefly until fragrant.

Add the sauce ingredients to the pan and bring to a simmer, stirring frequently.

Simmer to desired thickness adding Water as needed.

Taste and adjust adding more Vinegar or Honey to taste.

Makes about 1 Cup Sauce. 

*Note: If using Peanut Butter, thin with water or Mirin until pourable then combine with the first group of ingredients. Some recipes add Ketchup but it is not traditional.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky