Looking for advice on smoking pork butt early

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Sherrillcuse

Fire Starter
Original poster
Apr 27, 2020
Sherrill NY
We are having a small party for my sons graduation. It’s family only. I don’t want to spend the entire day hoping the butt gets done when I need it done. I want to cook it the day before so I have no stress.
I plan to do ribs the day of the party. I can control ribs pretty well. That’ll let me have the smoker going for the party too.
what is the best way to reheat the pork butt the following day. Should I make my pulled pork and reheat that or should I keep the butt whole and reheat and shred the day of party? Any help is appreciated so I don’t dry it out... Thank You

Smoke it the day ahead. Use normal routine. Pull it. Save the drippings, I separate fat from juice. Put in pan and add juice and heat in oven covered before the party

You can smoke it several days in advance if you want. Heck you could smoke it a week ahead and freeze it pulled pork doesn't really suffer at all from being frozen and reheated.
If doing it a day or two ahead I usually pull it after smoking and resting then put it in a disposable aluminum pan and foil over the top of it. Day of take it out and either do as Jake said or add some apple juice or what I like best is a finishing sauce then into either the oven or smoker to reheat. Some people will put it in a slow cooker like crock pot to reheat it.

Smoke it the day ahead. Use normal routine. Pull it. Save the drippings, I separate fat from juice. Put in pan and add juice and heat in oven covered before the party
Just curious as to why you get rid of the fat? I've always kept it and even vacuum seal with the drawn fat and really enjoy it - yes it's gelatinous but melts back in. Adds that richness and additional moisture. Might just be preference...?

Just curious as to why you get rid of the fat? I've always kept it and even vacuum seal with the drawn fat and really enjoy it - yes it's gelatinous but melts back in. Adds that richness and additional moisture. Might just be preference...?
Just a preference.

Reactions: D.W.
I shred, separate fat and return drippings, vacseal, and refrigerate or freeze depending on timing of future use. I usually reheat in the SV hot tub if main concern is juiciness, oven if want to maintain bark texture.
Guess Preference. We prefer not as greasy, the drippings accomplish the moisture and flavor enhancement.

Reactions: TNJAKE
Hello,
I have felt your pain in the past, big butt and wondering if it's going to be in time for dinner. I've also had to call and tell people that dinner was delayed. This might seem like you're working harder, but it's worked for me. I will smoke the butt overnight, start it at 9 or 10 pm the night before and let it go at a low temperature until dinner the following day. It helps greatly that I use an upright drum smoker so I don't have to refuel, and the temperature stays pretty stable on this style of smoker. I get up every couple of hours to make sure the temperature hasn't run away, adjust as necessary. You're dragging tail when it's all done, but dinner was on time and that pork pulls nice and easy. This method may not work very well with a stick burner. Boston Butt is a very forgiving cut of meat and it only get's better with time. Good luck with whatever method you choose.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky