looking for a venison liver sausage recipe

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Gwanger

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Mar 5, 2018
N. Illinois
A few yrs. back was able to give butcher named Eric, 3# deer liver and he would add 3# pork and within two wks. he would give you 6lbs. of fresh liver sausage that was the best ever. He has since moved location without notice and left us liver sausage lovers out in the cold. Anyone know where Erics sausage went from just west of Lake Geneva WI. Or have recipe for venison liver sausage.I remember how easy it spread on good rye bread. It was fresh liver sausage.

Last edited:
A few yrs. back was able to give butcher named Eric, 3# deer liver and he would add 3# pork and within two wks. he would give you 6lbs. of fresh liver sausage that was the best ever. He has since moved location without notice and left us liver sausage lovers out in the cold. Anyone know where Erics sausage went from just west of Lake Geneva WI. Or have recipe for venison liver sausage.I remember how easy it spread on good rye bread. It was fresh liver sausage.
Looks like what you are looking for is leberwurst.

That's not difficult to make: cook pork (fatty cuts) and liver with spices (marjoram, thyme, juniper berries, bay leaves work well with liver), grind the cooked meat/organ, stuff and poach briefly.

Spreadability comes from fat; I don't have experience with deer liver. Adding some belly might work. Or even lard after the meat is cooked. I always use lard in my organ sausages.

Looks like what you are looking for is leberwurst.

That's not difficult to make: cook pork (fatty cuts) and liver with spices (marjoram, thyme, juniper berries, bay leaves work well with liver), grind the cooked meat/organ, stuff and poach briefly.

Spreadability comes from fat; I don't have experience with deer liver. Adding some belly might work. Or even lard after the meat is cooked. I always use lard in my organ sausages.
Any better description as far as spice blend and fat ratio?

Use "common sense" spice quantities while cooking then taste the mix before stuffing and adjust. Keep in mind temperature "mutes" spice flavours (assuming you will eat this cold).

Stuff while mix is warm. Anything between 250-500ml of lard would work for 6lbs of liver+meat. Low side if using belly.

I used this recipe with venison instead of pork and it came out great.

Pork Liver—3 ½ lbs. Average whole liver
Pork Fat—2lbs
Onion—2 large diced
Pepper—4 tsp
Salt—6 tsp
Marjoram—2 tsp
Sugar—4 tsp
Mace—1 tsp
Paprika—8 tsp
Allspice—1 tsp

Cut liver and back fat in pieces and cook separately for 12 minutes each.
Grind liver, fat and onions thru fine grind.
Add spices. Hand mix or put into a blender. Add juice from liver fat as needed to make slurry or emulsify.
Stuff into 3” non-permeated casings.
Slow boil for 90 minutes.
Immerse in ice water for 10 minutes. Refrigerate.

Use "common sense" spice quantities while cooking then taste the mix before stuffing and adjust. Keep in mind temperature "mutes" spice flavours (assuming you will eat this cold).

Stuff while mix is warm. Anything between 250-500ml of lard would work for 6lbs of liver+meat. Low side if using belly.
Thnx for info

I used this recipe with venison instead of pork and it came out great.

Pork Liver—3 ½ lbs. Average whole liver
Pork Fat—2lbs
Onion—2 large diced
Pepper—4 tsp
Salt—6 tsp
Marjoram—2 tsp
Sugar—4 tsp
Mace—1 tsp
Paprika—8 tsp
Allspice—1 tsp

Cut liver and back fat in pieces and cook separately for 12 minutes each.
Grind liver, fat and onions thru fine grind.
Add spices. Hand mix or put into a blender. Add juice from liver fat as needed to make slurry or emulsify.
Stuff into 3” non-permeated casings.
Slow boil for 90 minutes.
Immerse in ice water for 10 minutes. Refrigerate.
R Blum thnx for recipe, will give it a shot

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky