Looking for a suggested thermometer for replacing on my Masterbuilt Propane Smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

DaveWNY

Original poster
May 22, 2018
To all:

I am looking for a pretty accurate replacement thermometer for the Masterbuilt XL propane smoker. My issue is that I can't use the probe style when smoking in the winter since our weather can get pretty cold here and I am not willing to keep the base unit outside for fear of freezing the LCD screen or keeping it on the smoker for fear of melting the housing. Does anyone have a recommendation for a replacement thermometer for placing on the door or a solution for the LCD screen issue?

Thank you in advance.

DaveWNY

I have used my TP-08 at -20C. It sits on top of my MES, the top doesn’t get hot enough to melt plastic yet warm enough to keep the display and batteries working. If your top gets too hot then set a tile under the remote.

I use Tel-Tru therms on my Smoke Vault. I actually have 3 of them in it. They are dead on accurate, but a bit pricey.
Al

I have used my TP-08 at -20C. It sits on top of my MES, the top doesn’t get hot enough to melt plastic yet warm enough to keep the display and batteries working. If your top gets too hot then set a tile under the remote.

My TP-08 has been a tank.I've never worried about cold once I just make sure to use quality batts like Duracells.I keep the transmitter unit kinda close to the top vent on really cold days.

Reactions: Murray
My sending unit sits on top of the smoker (I have the smoker wrapped in one layer of the type of insulation used to wrap hot water heaters) and it never gets that hot, especially in colder weather. If you're worried about the heat, just set the sending unit on a potholder or a plate on top of the smoker. Unless you're smoking at 400 degrees, it should be fine. (My wife did 'adjust' the needle valve on my smoker once and the unit got up to 475 degrees when it was preheating, and that temp was not kind to my Maverick remote unit, but the smoker should never get that hot anyway.)

I've never seen an in-door thermometer that was worth squat. I suppose they exist, but a probe style (I recently got a Thermoworks Smoke) generally will be more accurate.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky