• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Looking for a reliable smoker up to $1000

flatbroke

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Sep 16, 2007
craigslist and facebook market place may turn up a gently used stick burner in your area that fits your budget.

JC in GB

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Sep 28, 2018
You can get Hunsaker drum for that price if you are not averse to going with charcoal.

I have a charcoal cabinet smoker and I love it.

JC :emoji_cat:

How2doit?

Fire Starter
Joined Jun 7, 2020
So this is the latest. Pit Boss wants me to take this thing apart to diagnose what is wrong. I am not a handy person and the chances of a wrong diagnose is very possible. Is there a brand that provides service if needed ?

JC in GB

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Sep 28, 2018
So this is the latest. Pit Boss wants me to take this thing apart to diagnose what is wrong. I am not a handy person and the chances of a wrong diagnose is very possible. Is there a brand that provides service if needed ?

Based on your statements, I really think you would be much happier with a low tech, charcoal smoker. They are very basic in operation, cleaning, maintenance, etc. Also, if you go with a barrel smoker, you can get replacement parts for every component. Many can be gotten at your local hardware store.

You can still get near set and forget control on a charcoal smoker by use of a pit controller.

You don't really need to be handy to hook one up or use a pit controller.

My $0.02

How2doit?

Fire Starter
Joined Jun 7, 2020
Based on your statements, I really think you would be much happier with a low tech, charcoal smoker. They are very basic in operation, cleaning, maintenance, etc. Also, if you go with a barrel smoker, you can get replacement parts for every component. Many can be gotten at your local hardware store.

You can still get near set and forget control on a charcoal smoker by use of a pit controller.

You don't really need to be handy to hook one up or use a pit controller.

My $0.02

Makes sense. I am evaluating this option instead

Inscrutable

Smoking Fanatic
SMF Premier Member
Joined Apr 4, 2019
Along those same lines, could consider the mentioned WSM or a kamado style. No mechanicals, and the kamado will outlive you.

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.