Looking for a new smoker for sausage

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

KetoJoe

Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Oct 18, 2022
South Florida
I am new to making my own sausage and have only tried hot dogs and a Jalapeño Cheese beef (trying to mimic ones I buy in Sams Club)

I currently have a RecTeq smoker and a Kamado Joe Classic 3 but neither of them have room to hang sausages. I'm looking for a vertical smoker that will primarily be used for sausages and maybe beef jerky. The question is should I get an electric one that uses wood chips, a propane one or a vertical Pellet grill?

A little insight too, I am in South Florida, so cold is not an obstacle. Also, we are Keto/Carnivore and each eat about 1-2 pounds of meat a day so I don't mind having lots of smokers to keep up with our meat habit.

Get an electric with a PID temp controller. For sausage, the entire issue cooking is jeeping controlled temps at 120f to 170f. Gas and pellet grills can't evenly hold that. Electric with temp controllers can. Have a separate pellet grill or gas grill for normal bbq or steaks... don't try to do both sausage and brisket on same. As a carnivore eater, you'll want separate smoker.

Total wood for proper smoke is just 3 or 4 ounces. You can get good smoke by using one of those AmaZN pellet things, just a tray that smolders pellets inside.

Reactions: mike243
Get an electric with a PID temp controller. For sausage, the entire issue cooking is jeeping controlled temps at 120f to 170f. Gas and pellet grills can't evenly hold that. Electric with temp controllers can. Have a separate pellet grill or gas grill for normal bbq or steaks... don't try to do both sausage and brisket on same. As a carnivore eater, you'll want separate smoker.

Total wood for proper smoke is just 3 or 4 ounces. You can get good smoke by using one of those AmaZN pellet things, just a tray that smolders pellets inside.

Thank you. I figured electric was best but wanted to make sure. I almost bought a outposts because in store it says it goes down to 130degrees but online everyone says 170.

Can you recommend a good electric smoker, around $600 or less? Only thing I see by me are masterbuilt.

Skip the junk electric smokers.
Pay a little more for a TSM 30 Lb digital and be done with junk.
Sorry, very new, what is TSM? Do you have a link? I only need one big enough for smoking sausages hanging . 3-10 pounds at a time. I have a other smokers for regular meat

Personally have a MES 40 with Auber PID . it is awesome for jerky, fish, cheese, nuts, summer sausage, and ring sausage. Should be able to get into the combo for your $600

Personally have a MES 40 with Auber PID . it is awesome for jerky, fish, cheese, nuts, summer sausage, and ring sausage. Should be able to get into the combo for your $600
Thanks. I’ve gone down a rabbit hole now and want the best. I saw that sausage maker one and now its over. The problem is it is our of Stock. Looking for similar options. What about Bradley with a PID or a Smokin-it

Thanks. I’ve gone down a rabbit hole now and want the best. I saw that sausage maker one and now its over. The problem is it is our of Stock. Looking for similar options. What about Bradley with a PID or a Smokin-it
I watched craigslist and Marketplace for weeks and I got lucky with a Smokintex 1460 . Very similar to TSM and Smokit . Bought a PID controller and I am very happy.

I have Smokin It 3.5D. Like it, holds temps perfect. But holds moisture in strong... had to buy a fan to suck air thru to allow more drying in there.

It's surprisingly difficult to find a very tall PID-controlled vertical digital.

It's surprisingly difficult to find a very tall PID-controlled vertical digital.
Yep. That;s one of the reasons I built my own outhouse style smokehouse specifically for smoking sausages. If I were looking for one now, I'd find an old SS bread warmer (lots of small restaurants closing down lately) and rig it out as a smoker. Perfect height and size for smoking sausages.....

Reactions: poacherjoe
Here is a well known brand, but super pricey:

I just bought one of those. I've only been able to do some temperature testing on it so far, but I'm HIGHLY impressed.

Here is a review thread I made this past Sunday:

Reactions: sawhorseray
I ended up ordering the Sausage Maker Country-Style smoker. I'll put some foil bricks in it to help regulate temp and graph the heat inside stock before considering adding a PID.

Adding bricks is your choice but the top vent is the main. The element is right in the middle with heat deflector over it. I have not had any heat issues with hot and cold spots. Don't know if the new ones have a side vent hole with slider over it. This helps draw.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky