Looking for a glaze for ribs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

scmelik

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Apr 17, 2009
South Dakota
I have been trying to come up with a glaze for my ribs and I haven't come up with anything that I really like hopefully you all can help me.  I am looking for something that is on the sweeter side that will "candy" and go well with the spicy rub that I use.  I use a pineapple spritz during the first part of the cooking process.  

I tried to use a chicken broth/pineapple juice glaze but as it reduced the pineapple juice got really strong and almost bitter.  I do the brown sugar, butter in the foil when I foil them so that helps with the glaze but I am looking for another layer of flavor to put on during the final hour. 

Can you all help me come up with something?  BTW I HATE BBQ sauce so I won't use that.

Warm up some jelly and brush it on it will give you the candy effect you are looking for.  I like to use a jalapeno peach jelly glaze on ribs.

i have used it in the past and it works well but I feel like I get the exact same flavor profiles that I have already used when I do that.  My goal is to add another layer of flavor(s) that compliment well.
PM Chef JimmyJ, I bet he can help you find what you're looking for. He has a lot of great recipes and ideas!

Give this a try. I picked it up somewhere can't remember exactly where at but it's good and leaves a very nice finished look on your ribs plus gives it that candy/savory flavor.

Of course you can modify as you like.

1/3 cup good quality honey

1/4 cup bbq sauce of your preference

1/4 cup apple juice

1/8 cup or so apple cider

1/8 cup bourbon or whiskey.

Brush on the last hour or so of cooking.

Give this a try. I picked it up somewhere can't remember exactly where at but it's good and leaves a very nice finished look on your ribs plus gives it that candy/savory flavor.

Of course you can modify as you like.

1/3 cup good quality honey

1/4 cup bbq sauce of your preference

1/4 cup apple juice

1/8 cup or so apple cider

1/8 cup bourbon or whiskey.

Brush on the last hour or so of cooking.
how much bbq sauce flavor does this have??  When I say I don't like BBQ sauce I really mean I don't like BBQ sauce, I hate the flavor.

how much bbq sauce flavor does this have??  When I say I don't like BBQ sauce I really mean I don't like BBQ sauce, I hate the flavor.
Then I would substitute with ketchup or tomato sauce and then maybe add a little garlic and onion powder. I'm a minimalist when it comes to smoking meat. I always want to taste the meat. I'm not one to marinade then inject then rub then glaze then sauce. I can put all that on a sponge with the same results.

I'm carefull not to turn the meat into just a vehicle for spices and flavor layering. I like the taste of MEAT!!
biggrin.gif

This is a basic glaze that I generally put on half the ribs that I serve for those who like that shiny glazy look and candy flavor. The rest are dry rub only which is my preference. 

I'm in need of more info Scott...What's in the Rub? You are using Pineapple, are you looking for an overall Polynesian finish?...JJ

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky