Long time jerky maker, but still have some questions - Slicing, curing, marinating time, food safety

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

synapse88

Original poster
Jul 26, 2017
Hey everyone, I've been making a traditional jerky a while now, with a heavy soy (1/4 cup/1 lb) and worcestershire (1/4 cup/1.5lb) recipe, but I wanted to pose some questions for you, more experienced jerky makers :)

1 - Slicing - Do you slice at home, or do you have the butcher slice? If the former, what slicer do you use, and if the latter, what butcher/grocery chain does your slicing? I use this cheapo Cuisinart thing but it's not very consistent on the thickness, even when pre-freezing. 
2 - Curing - Do you guys normally cure? I never have and have never had a problem...is curing only necessary when you're not using so much salt in the recipe? I'd like to avoid it if possible.

3 - Dehydrator vs Smoker - I've always used a dehydrator and have liquid smoke in the recipe (1 tsp/1 lb, and people really seem to love it once I got my recipe honed in. Honestly, how much better is the smoked jerky? I like some smoke (think smoked pork butts and brisket) but don't like an overwhelming amount of smoke. Do I need to invest in a smoker to make better jerky than I do now? If so please suggest models.

4 - Marinating time - I usually do 24 hours or a bit under...I can't imagine it needs more than that when making jerky of regular thickness. Have you all actually noticed a difference by marinating for more than 1 day? Would I have to tone down the amounts of spices etc if I wanted to go longer than 24?

General food safety questions - So after my jerky is done, I cool, then seal in food saver vacuumed bags, usually with a desicant packet, and store at room temperature up to a month. Is that enough? I've seen talk of doing a post drying bake at 275 for 10 minutes to kill pathogens, the curing stuff above etc, am I missing any best practices I'mm not currently following? I'm thinking the curing is to keep the jerky shelf stable for a year+ on end or whatever, which I have no interest in. My jerky us usually consumer within weeks.  

Lastly are there any forums etc for beginning a jerky sales business? Not really interested in doing that, but would love to read about the experiences of others that have.  

Thanks guys!!

Hey everyone, I've been making a traditional jerky a while now, with a heavy soy (1/4 cup/1 lb) and worcestershire (1/4 cup/1.5lb) recipe, but I wanted to pose some questions for you, more experienced jerky makers :)

1 - Slicing - Do you slice at home, or do you have the butcher slice? If the former, what slicer do you use, and if the latter, what butcher/grocery chain does your slicing? I use this cheapo Cuisinart thing but it's not very consistent on the thickness, even when pre-freezing.    I prefer to slice my own, just using a knife and a partial frozen top or bottom round roast.  Often though, the store where I buy meat has bottom round roasts already sliced.  They are generally in the 1/4" range, but can be as thin as 1/8" and as thick as a half inch.  I sort them according to thickness and take them off the smoker sooner or later, depending on thickness. 

2 - Curing - Do you guys normally cure? I never have and have never had a problem...is curing only necessary when you're not using so much salt in the recipe? I'd like to avoid it if possible.  I use cure.  Just prefer the safety factor.  I also don't like straight soy sauce.  I use teriyaki sauce instead. 

3 - Dehydrator vs Smoker - I've always used a dehydrator and have liquid smoke in the recipe (1 tsp/1 lb, and people really seem to love it once I got my recipe honed in. Honestly, how much better is the smoked jerky? I like some smoke (think smoked pork butts and brisket) but don't like an overwhelming amount of smoke. Do I need to invest in a smoker to make better jerky than I do now? If so please suggest models.  I learned to make jerky in the oven.  Didn't care for the taste of liquid smoke, so made jerky without it.  Once I started using a smoker, wow, what a difference.  The recipe I use is enhanced by the smoke.   

4 - Marinating time - I usually do 24 hours or a bit under...I can't imagine it needs more than that when making jerky of regular thickness. Have you all actually noticed a difference by marinating for more than 1 day? Would I have to tone down the amounts of spices etc if I wanted to go longer than 24?  I've done 8 hours.  I've done 5 days.  My schedule dictates the amount of time the meat marinates.  I like 24-48 hours.  The marinade flavor is a little more intense, but not noticeably so.  Unexpected longer marinade times is also a reason I use cure. 

General food safety questions - So after my jerky is done, I cool, then seal in food saver vacuumed bags, usually with a desicant packet, and store at room temperature up to a month. Is that enough? I've seen talk of doing a post drying bake at 275 for 10 minutes to kill pathogens, the curing stuff above etc, am I missing any best practices I'mm not currently following? I'm thinking the curing is to keep the jerky shelf stable for a year+ on end or whatever, which I have no interest in. My jerky us usually consumer within weeks.  I defer on this point.  I keep mine in the refrigerator. 

Lastly are there any forums etc for beginning a jerky sales business? Not really interested in doing that, but would love to read about the experiences of others that have.  Can't help you here.     

Thanks guys!!  You're welcome.  Ray

I

1 - Slicing - Do you slice at home, or do you have the butcher slice? If the former, what slicer do you use, and if the latter, what butcher/grocery chain does your slicing? I use this cheapo Cuisinart thing but it's not very consistent on the thickness, even when pre-freezing. 
I slice my own. Usually eye round cut in half along the long center and then into slices.  I recently dug up an old Rival stainless steel slicer I bought back in the 1970's and it worked great on some 70% frozen eye round.  Made nice uniform slices.  Of course there is more cleaning involved as compared to a knife and cutting board/panel.

2 - Curing - Do you guys normally cure? I never have and have never had a problem...is curing only necessary when you're not using so much salt in the recipe? I'd like to avoid it if possible.

Yes, always.  I use cure #1 by weight to the amount of meat and have a scale with 1/100th a gram resolution for small batches.

3 - Dehydrator vs Smoker - I've always used a dehydrator and have liquid smoke in the recipe (1 tsp/1 lb, and people really seem to love it once I got my recipe honed in. Honestly, how much better is the smoked jerky? I like some smoke (think smoked pork butts and brisket) but don't like an overwhelming amount of smoke. Do I need to invest in a smoker to make better jerky than I do now? If so please suggest models.

I've done both and I've used liquid smoke in both.  The smoker jerky has a different smoke profile and is not overwelming, but I guess it would be easy to over do it with liquid smoke added.  Lately I've been doing all my sliced jerky in the smoker and the pressed ground beef jerky rounds in the dehydrator.  I use cure for both.

4 - Marinating time - I usually do 24 hours or a bit under...I can't imagine it needs more than that when making jerky of regular thickness. Have you all actually noticed a difference by marinating for more than 1 day? Would I have to tone down the amounts of spices etc if I wanted to go longer than 24?

I usually vacuum tumble for 20 minutes, bleeding in the air and resetting the vacuum about half way through.  Then I just sit the tumbler in the fridge overnight and give it a shake every time I walk by the fridge that evening.  By morning 90% or more of the marinade is totally absorbed by the meat (and I use cure in my marinades).

General food safety questions - So after my jerky is done, I cool, then seal in food saver vacuumed bags, usually with a desicant packet, and store at room temperature up to a month. Is that enough? I've seen talk of doing a post drying bake at 275 for 10 minutes to kill pathogens, the curing stuff above etc, am I missing any best practices I'mm not currently following? I'm thinking the curing is to keep the jerky shelf stable for a year+ on end or whatever, which I have no interest in. My jerky us usually consumer within weeks.  

I usually make a 2 to 5 pound batch and it does not last more than 2 weeks at the most.  I just pop them in a lock & lock container and keep them at room temp on the counter. Never had any go bad.  So basically I'm making jerky every 2nd or 3rd weekend lately.

I took 2.5 pounds (meat start weight) to work and it was gone in about 15 minutes.  I can open a container of jerky and it's like ringing the dinner bell at the office
biggrin.gif

Lastly are there any forums etc for beginning a jerky sales business? Not really interested in doing that, but would love to read about the experiences of others that have.  

Getting in to the business is a whole 'nother thing!!!  Insurance, licenses, inspections, rules & regulations.  Unofficial sales to close friends at the office for "cost plus time" are one thing, but when you start thinking about a business it will not be fun for long and can get real expensive.

Thanks guys!!

Last edited:
1.  Slicing - I slice by hand.  My batches are normally in the 3 to 5 pound range pre-dehydration.  Even if the batches were 10 or 15 pounds, I would probably slice by hand.  Of course, my knives are very sharp.

2. Curing - I use Kikkoman soy sauce based marinate - so it is salted for sure - and I have never used cure either.  I shrink wrap and store my to-be-eaten-at-a-later-date in the fridge or the freezer.

3.  I use a dehydrator and have for decades.  It is a personal preference for me and I do not care for the smoked jerky as much - BUT - if I was fishing with you and you brought a batch of smoked jerky, I would eat all you could spare 

drool.gif

4.  Marinating time - at least overnight - but I prefer 24 hours.  I marinate it in the fridge.

Food Safety - Any jerky I plan to eat in the next week or two can stay in the air.  Any jerky planned to be eaten at a later date is either shrink-wrapped and put in the fridge (to be comsumed in the next 4 weeks or so).  Anything that will be consumed a month or more after making is frozen.

Forum - No idea there - but on Shark Tank a guy came in with his premium steak jerky and got more than 1 shark to invest.  

Cheers!

Ed

Last edited:
Reactions: SonnyE

I use a cabelas' jerky slicer for even cuts

Cure will keep you and yours safe !

I do both and sometimes smoke for an hour and then stick the jerky in the dehydrator

I usually do 7-8 pounds at a time and leave in the marinade for 2 days w/the occasional stir or shake

I air dry then vacseal and leave in the fridge until eaten,sometimes I find packs of jerky in the back of my goodie fridge that are a year old and they are still delicious!

Seems like the health inspector would be involved and you would need all the trappings of a commercial restaurant with water temps and drain traps etc. NO THANKS! :)

Thanks guys!!

I use my chef knife or my slicing knife.

I use cure #1 at a rate of 120 PPM just for good measure (pun intended).

Vertical propane smoker, GOSM to be exact.

I try to get my stuff in the marinade by Thursday evening for a Sat morning smoke. If I'm off on Friday, I'll make it that morning for a 24 or just shy soak.

Never had it last that long.

Thanks guys!!

I slice my jerky by hand, haven't found a slicer that I quite like. I'd prefer the slicer that attaches to the counter, slices about 1/4 thick. Anyone have one? If so do you like it? I prefer using London broil for the beef jerky since its thicker, that way when it's done it doesn't look like shoestrings! I also just started using liquid smoke in my recipe again, and it's great as long as you don't use too much.

About the jeky sales business.. I would live to do something like that, or at least start out with a vendor cart and go from there. Right now I just sell batches here and there to friends, but have a lot of orders so with my full time job it's like I have 2 jobs lol! Love it though..

Im making Jerky this weekend which I make 2-3 times a year

1 - Slicing - I slice mine by hand. HOWEVER I am really thinking about buying Cabalas 12in slicer which is on sale .. But currently I slice by hand

2 - Curing - Soy Sauce based marinade 

3 - Dehydrator vs Smoker - I have 2 dehydrators with the round plastic trays

4 - Marinating time - 8-12 hours. I have found that there is minimal difference between overnight-12 hours and going 24 hours. I slice meat middle afternoon, put in marinade, let sit overnight then start early the next morning

started making jerky about three years ago....got hooked, now make three to five 20+ LB batches a week.

Slicing- I use an Aventco SL310 slicer I bought at webstaurantStore.com....... Awesome slicer, cuts evenly, thin, thicker, has a built in sharpener.

Curing- I cure every batch regardless of meat or recipe, or the storing process. BETTER SAFE THEN SORRY!!!

Dehydrator vs. smoker- I have done both, I've started out in the smoker for an hour then finished in the dehydrator, I've done full smoke. I've done full dehydrate with liquid smoke in the recipe. Nowadays I find myself going the full dehydrate method because of the amount I am doing.

Marinating time- I go at least 24 hours. But my normal time is 36 hours. I have seen a difference in the taste/texture in marinating longer. I do pork, chicken, turkey, and beef jerky. all cut meat.... no ground meat.

Selling jerky- I have no desire to have to go through all the hoopla, inspections, and red tape to be able to sell my jerky (officially). I make jerky for friends, family and coworkers.

I partially freeze and hand slice.

Yes, I use Cure #1 for safety and extended shelf stability. I also vacuum seal and throw in the deep freeze.

Several hours of smoke, finish in the dehydrator.

Somewhere around 18 hours in the marinade.

No interest in the commercial aspect. Too many bs hoops to jump through in the food industry. If you’re going that route, you definitely want a good slicer instead of doing it by hand.

1 - Slicing - Do you slice at home, or do you have the butcher slice? If the former, what slicer do you use, and if the latter, what butcher/grocery chain does your slicing? I use this cheapo Cuisinart thing but it's not very consistent on the thickness, even when pre-freezing. I'm a knife slicer. And I recently tried the hamburger method, don't like it. But the cardio doc told me "NO red meat."
I had a slicer back in the 1970's, and really liked it. But now there are only two of us, in the winter of our lives, and this one isn't that interested in my ways. Can't please everyone, but I can please myself. Less complaints that way.

I've made jerky, and smoked fish since I was in my early side of 20's. My jerky only got salt and pepper on it before I'd put it in the oven to dry it. (Pilot light days) I did the hamburger jerky trial on my gas BBQ at 140, and the house oven at 170 (2 batches). It tastes like hamburger. :p
I use to just use Beef round steak, and slice it around 1/8", or Antelope, or Venison.

I've never had a dehydrator, kinda wish I did. But always used an oven. I'd like to try my smoker and maybe a tad of smoke. But mostly just heat to dry out the jerky.

Never done a marinade. Sonny and Simple both start with 'S'. But I've taken to brining of late.

My jerky is usually consumed within days. And it's snap dry when done. Not some half-gummed soggy. Just my old school preference. I've never seen a refrigerated saddlebag.

I haven't seen any. But it's a big world out there. I was browsing around last night and saw where there is equipment for sale from failed smoked food restaurant ventures. I don't know if it still holds true or not, but at one time I heard of a statistic that 90% of restaurants failed in the first year.
So I'd really not be interested in that. Nope, I'm just keepin mine at home. ;)

Thanks guys!!
You're Welcome. Fun to chew the Jerky with you.

PS: I just might have to sneak one of these Ronco dudes in the house next payday...

Last edited:
Great thread love the comments I an Newbie. About to make first jerky. I have a smoker so to dry it out should I smoke it longer?. I have pellet smoker so I can take from smoke mode to oven easy enough just open the indirect fire slide and turn up the heat to dry it out. Now why hanging meat? It works better that way? Love this place it is very helpful will have to pony up some dollars and become paid member.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky