Long smoke...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

normanaj

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Feb 2, 2014
Rhode Island
A little 4.5lb boneless butt been in for 14hrs and now just hit 185.Been in the MES since 8pm last night swimming in a nice light bath of hickory/apple smoke.Going to make for great pulled pork to bring to work this week.

With the crazy hot weather we're having the AC is on constantly and with a couple of good long smokes I should have one heck of an electricity bill!

Last edited:
Yeah, but there is nothing better than a nice long nap on the couch with a blanket on while the AC is blasting away the heat.:emoji_zzz:
Then waking up to some great que......nothing better on a hot day.
I keep the AC set on 72* all summer long because I hate the heat and I we are above 90* most of the time with to many days of 100*+. It's worth the extra money to be comfortable.:emoji_thumbsup:

There is a problem somewhere! Presuming a cooking temp of 225°, it should have been done in about 5 hours and no more than 7 hours at the most! I just did two butts at 10 pounds each and they finished in 12 hours cooking at 250°
Did you have a probe in it from the start? I would be very worried it took too long to get to 140° and out of the danger zone.
I would also be testing my thermometers in both boiling water and ice water to see if they are accurate. Never trust the thermometer that comes on the smoker as they are notorious for being inaccurate, sometimes wildly so! I have heard of them reading 225° and a probe revealed the chamber temp was more in the 180° range.
Good luck, and keep us posted on the outcome.

Ya know if you plugged it in it would cook quicker lol

Reactions: cnet24
There is a problem somewhere! Presuming a cooking temp of 225°, it should have been done in about 5 hours and no more than 7 hours at the most! I just did two butts at 10 pounds each and they finished in 12 hours cooking at 250°
Did you have a probe in it from the start? I would be very worried it took too long to get to 140° and out of the danger zone.
I would also be testing my thermometers in both boiling water and ice water to see if they are accurate. Never trust the thermometer that comes on the smoker as they are notorious for being inaccurate, sometimes wildly so! I have heard of them reading 225° and a probe revealed the chamber temp was more in the 180° range.
Good luck, and keep us posted on the outcome.

My mistake 4.5lbs,not that its much of a difference.

I test all my probes on a very regular basis.I'm using my TP-08 on this smoke and its been in since the start and I of course am using the second probe to monitor chamber temp and my MES is keeping as it should,the normal temp swings associated with an MES.
I tested my my TP15 instant read this morning and its right on and verified the IT of the butt that the TP-08 was reading at the time.

All the rolled and tied boneless butts I've done have taken 11-12hrs.For some reason this one just wanted to take a couple extra I guess!She's out and resting now.I'll have post up a couple of pics in the pork section.

I keep the AC set on 72* all summer long because I hate the heat and I we are above 90* most of the time with to many days of 100*+. It's worth the extra money to be comfortable.:emoji_thumbsup:

We're experiencing an abnormally hot heatwave,temps in the high 90s and dew points in the 70s.Nasty.Its certainly worth the xtra $$$ to be comfy!

With the weather the way it is, I would just throw it on the hood of my truck. Should take about 2 hours till pulled tender! :emoji_sparkler:

My boss is up in Loudon for the race.As much as I love Nascar racing you couldn't pay me to be up there!Pulled pork,potato salad and slaw in the comfort of home is good enough for me!

Last one I did was boned out about 4 lbs . Took almost 13 hours .

Just bought a new coffee bean grinder and man it grinds the pellets so consistently.Two 6" tubes lasted almost the entire smoke,one at 8pm the second at 2am.Saw no point in adding a third,the smoke flavor is definitely there.

Reactions: chopsaw
My boss is up in Loudon for the race.As much as I love Nascar racing you couldn't pay me to be up there!Pulled pork,potato salad and slaw in the comfort of home is good enough for me!

I just said the same thing. I've been to a lot of NASCAR races where it's been hot, but I couldn't imagine sitting in those stands today!

I've sweated through 3 shirts today and I'm not even doing anything remotely physical. Supposed to rain here in PA this evening, then down to the 70's this week. That will feel wonderful at this point!

I just said the same thing. I've been to a lot of NASCAR races where it's been hot, but I couldn't imagine sitting in those stands today!

I've sweated through 3 shirts today and I'm not even doing anything remotely physical. Supposed to rain here in PA this evening, then down to the 70's this week. That will feel wonderful at this point!

He just texted me and said its brutally hot.TV is good enough this guy!

The finished product is the best I've ever done according to my wife,long smoke was worth it apparently.Lightly sauced and into fridge for a spell.Reheat at suppertime when the wife gets out of work.Wholesome deliciousness.

Attachments

• 20190721_114057.jpg
    20190721_114057.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 30
  • 20190721_152401.jpg
    20190721_152401.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 32
  • 20190721_152927.jpg
    20190721_152927.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 29
In an aside:

Why do all the pics I upload always come out sideways?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky