London broil

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I just did a couple last weekend on the grill with amazing results...
-Stab it on each side with a fork about 200 times
-Slather on some Worcestershire sauce
-Sprinkle each side with non-seasoned meat tenderizer
-Apply a nice coating of SPOG(light on the salt)
-Toss in the fridge for a couple hours
-Smoke or grill to an IT of 120(or 110-115 if you go the smoke, reverse sear route)
-Let it rest for at least 30 minutes before slicing
-Slice thin against the grain
-Results: medium rare tender melt in your mouth great flavor
Broil3.jpg

This is what I tend to use. Try to marinade overnight and flip it once and a while.

Flank Steak Marinade

½ cup salad oil

¼ cup honey

¼ cup red wine vinegar

1 T garlic powder

2 tsp ginger

1 cup soy sauce

And Sear the heck out of it!!

Last edited:
The term: "London Broil" is not a cut of meat, it is a form of cookery - to broil a cut of meat to a medium rare to rare doneness to improve its tenderness. It originally started with flank steak, which, when overcooked, was tough and chewy because of the long, fibrous meat fibers. But, when broiled quickly to brown the surface but leaving the inner fibers rare and undercooked, the overall effect was to improve the tenderness of the cut. Likewise, the method of cookery spread to other lean cuts such as thick-cut top round, bottom round, beef arm shoulder, shoulder clod and eye round split lengthwise, etc.,, the London Broil method of cookery applied as well, to take a less tender cut of meat, broil it rare to medium rare over high heat, slice it across the grain in thin slices and serve with its own juice.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky