Lockhart Sauge, question on curing salt.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Don't worry about the expiration date... Keep the cure in a dark, cool place... sealed air tight, and it good for years....
The 6% nitrite cure, you will need 1.2 grams per pound OR ~ 1 tsp. per 5#'s of stuff.. for most sausages and meats.. that will give you ~156 Ppm nitrite in the meat..

Last edited:
Congratulations on finding what you needed! Now you can start your sausage journey :)

I did a search for sal de cura , and came up with some interesting reading , and the different terminology used .
Not going to post the link because some the standards differ from the US . However , looked to me like what you have follows US guide lines for percentages and amount used for cure 1 .
Good luck .

Chopsaw.... Excellent..... Os sais de cura que seguem a padronização norte americana são compostos por 93.75% de sal de cozinha(cloreto de sódio) e 6.25% de nitrito de sódio(NaNO²)

Looks exactly like cure#1 to me also...

Reactions: chopsaw
Did the sausage on saturday, will update this later, have not been able to smoke them yet so they sit in the fridge (had some inlaws visit)

Drying out the casings, heating up the smoker to start :)

Attachments

• IMG_20180917_103252.jpg
    IMG_20180917_103252.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 26
Reactions: crazymoon
Sausages are done, smoked, poached and cooled, texture was a bir too fine, but not bad for the first time doing sausages now to dry them and freeze them for later, but i am exited and think the outcome was good for having done everthing with the kitchenaid attachment

Attachments

• IMG_20180917_140255.jpg
    IMG_20180917_140255.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_20180917_163822.jpg
    IMG_20180917_163822.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 26
LF, Your sausage looks fine !!! Use a coarser grinding plate on your next batch if you want fat particles to show . Nice job!!!!! like

For a more toothy texture, I have used... Grind the cold fat through a fine plate... for the meat... 1/2 through a med plate and 1/2 through a finer plate... the 2 grinds fill all the holes and the bigger hunks give something for the tooth...

Reactions: nanuk and tallbm
For a more toothy texture, I have used... Grind the cold fat through a fine plate... for the meat... 1/2 through a med plate and 1/2 through a finer plate... the 2 grinds fill all the holes and the bigger hunks give something for the tooth...

I used to sell a "Ham Garlic Sausage" from the schneiders company. (Schneiders.ca) and they had cubes of meat in there, about 3/8" square IIRC.

and you are right, it does change the "Tooth" feel. Some liked it, some liked the other brand with a finer overall grind.

personally, I liked the chunky stuff for texture, but the flavour of the other brand was better.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky