Lobster Tails Steamed w/ Beer for V-day.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

xray

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Mar 11, 2015
Northeast PA
Got a nice surprise from the wife when she bought us a 4 pack of cold water Lobster tails to eat for Valentines Day. Even though we’re going out Saturday for a nice dinner.

Who am I to complain about eating like a champ 2 days in a row!?

I’ve always enjoyed steaming my lobster with beer. It’s so easy too. One year, I didn’t add enough beer and scorched it to the bottom of the pot, wasn’t a good day.

Here’s the Lobster. Thawed, skewered to prevent curling and just a smattering of Old Bay:
83DFD1F1-6B5A-4376-A052-6E9FE92E26CC.jpeg

I got a pretty big steamer pot, so I added 1.5 bottles of beer, drank the .5 for quality control and then filled the empty bottle up with water and dumped it in the pot. Added some Old Bay and two bay leaf.
0F49E47F-9BC1-4E9E-BF8B-033C34A9DEE4.jpeg

Use a decent full bodied beer. Sam Adams Cold Snap is my favorite to use. Anything will work as long as it’s nothing like Chocolate stout or some foofoo strawberry beer.

Once the pot is steaming, add the lobster and steam 8 minutes. These are 8oz tails. Add more time if using larger tails. Remove and serve immediately.

Here’s dinner. Lobster Tail served with browned butter, baked potato and roasted asparagus.
726F4C67-711C-41AA-A078-D8B55894F9CE.jpeg

51F6EBAA-CBB5-4EA4-8B2D-677D5499EB67.jpeg

09723D0C-1D1D-4164-A195-43A4786960B8.jpeg

Thanks for looking,

Joe

Beautiful job Joe! Must be something about V-Day that requires seafood and spargees, Like. RAY

Looks dang good joe! Thought about getting some lobster yesterday also but stuck to crab legs and shrimp. Have to try steaming it with beer sometime, never thought about that

Ryan

Absolutely beautiful meal Joe. Just spectacular. There isn't a thing I'd change about that plate of I were to make it...but sadly I can't do that when Tracy is here. Guess I'll just have to continue living vicariously through you.

Great job my friend,
Robert

That does look great . Don't eat much seafood here , Fat tire is a different story . That and 1554 is a favorite . Nice wok bud .

Beautiful job Joe! Must be something about V-Day that requires seafood and spargees, Like. RAY

Thank you Ray, it most certainly is something about Vday that requires those ingredients!

Looks really delicious, enjoy! You guys should do it often, not only on V-day, makes things a lot more special.

Thanks Killian! We actually do have lobster on more than one occasion, the 4 pack of tails is $35 so it's definitely cheaper than going out for a nice lobster dinner...it's just been a while for both of us.

Looks dang good joe! Thought about getting some lobster yesterday also but stuck to crab legs and shrimp. Have to try steaming it with beer sometime, never thought about that

Ryan

Thanks Ryan! Give it a try it definitely makes a difference than using water, the seafood picks up a hint of sweetness. My wife didn't believe me a few years ago until I steamed 2 tails in water and 2 tails in beer.

Absolutely beautiful meal Joe. Just spectacular. There isn't a thing I'd change about that plate of I were to make it...but sadly I can't do that when Tracy is here. Guess I'll just have to continue living vicariously through you.

Great job my friend,
Robert

Thank you Robert, I also live vicariously through you when it comes to beef ribs, brisket and monster tomahawk steaks. I'd gladly trade you a tale of some of the beef that you showcase.

Nice looking meal great job.

Warren

Thank you Warren!

That is a meal fit for a king Joe!
Nicely done!!
Al

Thanks Al, I'm just a court jester who cooks for my queen.

That does look great . Don't eat much seafood here , Fat tire is a different story . That and 1554 is a favorite . Nice wok bud .

Thanks Chop! Lobster is for bigger occasions for us. We do a lot of shrimp, also get a lot of crab from friends who come back from MD and VA.

The fat tire is some good stuff, shame I used it for steaming, but it does make a difference.

Looks Really Great

Gary

Thanks Gary!

Oddly enough growing up in central Minnesota, we didn't eat much lobster. Dang that looks good though! Silly question I guess, but you leave the shell on and just set them across the top of the stock pot? May have to try this sometime.

Oddly enough growing up in central Minnesota, we didn't eat much lobster. Dang that looks good though! Silly question I guess, but you leave the shell on and just set them across the top of the stock pot? May have to try this sometime.

If it wasn't done at the store already. Cut the top shell with scissors but be careful not to cut all the way down to the tail. The tails are already thawed and placed in a steamer basket and placed in a stock pot. I like to keep mine out of the water, so I only fill the stockpot 1-2" of beer at the bottom. Make sure the pot is steaming before adding the lobster, add the lobster and cover to steam approximately 8 minutes.

Reactions: kawboy
Mighty nice job Joe! I don't believe I've seen the skewer trick before. Neat idea.

Thanks Steve. The lobster tails curl quite a bit when heated. The skewer keeps them straight for presentation purposes, they're still tasty without it.

The second lobster tail on my plate, the meat pulled right out with the skewer, so I thought that was pretty cool. As for the skewers, they're just your regular bamboo ones, I cut them down to size to fit in my pot.

I've never steamed tails before. Always either grilled or broiled. I'd imagine with steaming them. There is less chance of drying them out.

Reactions: xray
I've never steamed tails before. Always either grilled or broiled. I'd imagine with steaming them. There is less chance of drying them out.

They stay moist, but like other methods they can become overcooked too.

These were the 4 pack cold water tails from Wegmans. If you do decide to steam them, definitely try them with the beer.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky