Lobster-shrimp Ravioli

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sawhorseray

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Oct 17, 2014
Gilbert, AZ
Made a lobster dinner the other night and had some unexpected leftovers. I don't know much of what to do with a hunk of leftover lobster other than make some ravioli. There wasn't enough lob worth breaking out the gear so I decided to mix it with some Argentine red shrimp 50/50. 10 oz each lob and shrimp, 5oz mascarpone cheese.
DSCN2636.JPG

Chopped and mixed after a little work with the Wusthof food processor
DSCN2637.JPG

Mixed up a batch of semolina pasta dough in the KA. 3 cups semolina, 4 eggs, 1tsp salt, 1/4 cup each water and olive oil. It only goes in the KA mixer for about 45 seconds using the paddle, then knead by hand, no pic of the ball. Hook up the pasta roller attachment to the KA and get busy making some sheets
DSCN2642.JPG

About a teaspoon of mix goes into every ravioli, with practice you don't overfill and pop much
DSCN2639.JPG

Put on a top sheet and go over it with a rolling pin
DSCN2640.JPG

Turn upside down and separate
DSCN2641.JPG

I like to put the ravs on a tray in the freezer as I go so they hold form in a Ziploc bag when done, ended up just short of six dozen.
DSCN2645 (1).JPG

I had quite a bit of dough left so so after rolling the rest into sheets I changed over to the fettuccini cutter attachment, set up the pasta dryer
DSCN2643.JPG

Had some yardbird legs set fro the Vortex so hit them with a little of Jeff's Original rub
DSCN2644 (1).JPG

After 35 minutes using the Vortex with a hunk of hickory wood, perfect and juicy every time.
DSCN2646 (1).JPG

I boiled up the fettuccini and put a tiny pot of spinach Alfredo sauce on the stove, tossed a few ravs into the water to sample, delicious. Dinner was some legs, Cesar salad, and fettuccini Alfredo, the fresh semolina pasta stole the show.
DSCN2647 (1).JPG

Now that we've got some fairly exotic ravs in the freezer it might be time to make a standard batch of Italian sausage-spinach-ricotta cheese ravioli, more like what I grew up on. Was a fun day and I got some good work done, had a few beers. Thanks for lookin' in, stay safe! RAY

Attachments

• DSCN2638.JPG
    DSCN2638.JPG
    100.5 KB · Views: 19
Ray that looks fantastic! Nice work for sure. Ive always wanted to make ravioli. I have a hand crank pasta machine I just need to get some ravioli molds.

Reactions: sawhorseray
Oh wow, I am always amazed at the homemade pasta art. I am also glad I do not live near you sawhorseray because I would end up probably gaining too much weight, which right now is not what I want beings I am trying to prepare for my first archery mule deer hunt in the badlands - only 8 months away.

tenor.gif

Damn Ray just outstanding man! I know you got to have some real patience to do all of those. Bet they are just delicious. Post some pics up once you get some cooked up!

Wow...and I mean WOW!! Talk about a massive labor of love. That is just outstanding my friend. The patience it must take to do all that is beyond me but it appears as though you have it down to a science. Excellent job!!

Robert

Mercy! Those ravs sound good! Jim

Thanks Jim! They make my wife happy, happy wife happy life! Thank you for the Like Jim, I appreciate it. RAY

Ray that looks fantastic! Nice work for sure. Ive always wanted to make ravioli. I have a hand crank pasta machine I just need to get some ravioli molds.

Thanks Travis! Once you get the molds the combinations you can come up with to make are just about limitless. Heck, once your son sees how this is done you'll be suckin' a brewster in front of the TV while he does the whole thing! Thanks for the Like Travis, I appreciate it. RAY

Looks good Ray . I like the meat rav's better , that's next on my list . Nice work .

Thanks Rich! I love the beef and pork ravs too, and my wife even eats them, tho they always go with tomato sauce. When we lived in CA and I had the boat and traps I used to make Dungeness crab ravs that were to die for, this is about as close as I can come here in the dessert. Thanks for the Like Rich, I do appreciate it. RAY

Oh wow, I am always amazed at the homemade pasta art. I am also glad I do not live near you sawhorseray because I would end up probably gaining too much weight, which right now is not what I want beings I am trying to prepare for my first archery mule deer hunt in the badlands - only 8 months away.

Yeah, if you are going to be chasing mulies with sticks and strings you'll certainly be wanting to maintain fighting weight! Thanks for the Like, I do appreciate it. RAY

Damn Ray just outstanding man! I know you got to have some real patience to do all of those. Bet they are just delicious. Post some pics up once you get some cooked up!

Thanks John! I learned to have patience hunting and fishing and it just carries over into every other facet of life now, being retired helps too! We used to save the special ravs I'd make for special occasions and company, seems like a long long time ago these days. Thank you for the Like Amigo, I do appreciate it. RAY

Wow...and I mean WOW!! Talk about a massive labor of love. That is just outstanding my friend. The patience it must take to do all that is beyond me but it appears as though you have it down to a science. Excellent job!! Robert

Thank you Robert! If anyone knows about patience and attention to detail in the kitchen it is you Robert, I've learned a ton from your cooks. Projects like making sausage and ravioli, and smoking bacon are just a great way to enjoy the day, have a few beers, and get something done without hurting myself! Thank you for the Like my friend, it's much appreciated. RAY

Over the top! Man that looks killer! nice work!

Thank you sandyut sandyut ! I reckon with that new kitchen and soon to be retired you'll have plenty of time for projects like this one! Thank you for the Like, I do appreciate it. RAY

Very nice!!!

Thank you Norm, and thanks for the Like, I appreciate it! RAY

Wow excellent on the ravs, fantastic!

Thanks Teal, and thanks for the Like, much appreciated! RAY

Ray your living the life, I never have extra Lobster we usually make Mushroom, Spinach etc. Richie

Thanks Richie! If I lived in your part of the country I'd be eating this stuff all the time, I hear they just about give lobsters away in Maine. My favorite ravioli to make and eat is with my homemade Italian sausage, spinach, and ricotta, now that everythings on hand and in the kitchen I might have to get busy on that. Thank you for the Like Richie, much appreciated! RAY

All I can say is WOW ! That whole post looks amazing. Nice Job Ray. :emoji_thumbsup: The fresh pasta is so worth it. Those raviolis look incredible.

Thanks Mac, I agree with you 100%! Fresh made pasta using semolina flour is pretty darned hard to beat regardless of if you use for ravioli or just want to plate it up with your favorite sauce. Thank you for the Like, I do appreciate it!

Awesome just Awesome. Man could I do away with a plate full of the ravioli. Warren

Thanks Warren! It's a lot like making sausage, a great way to spend a cold day while drilling a few Rolling Rocks, and you know exactly what's in the stuff and what it took to make it, which is it's own reward . Thank you for the Like Warren, it is appreciated. RAY

Absolutely fantastic Ray! I would love a plate of that! Like!

Thanks Steve! I've got three more tails in the freezer that I just may do the same thing with sans the shrimp. Thanks for the Like Steve, I do appreciate it. RAY

Everything looks amazing ray! Leftover lobster? Never heard of it😉......nice work bud

Thanks Jake! If I knew how to cook up lobs as well as you I probably wouldn't have any leftover either. I just haven't caught them quite perfect steaming or on the Weber so I get pissed and turn them into ravioli the next day. RAY

All looks great Ray!! I have to get some ravioli pans like that! Nice looking knife too.

Thanks Jeff! I'm thinking of getting the 10-ravioli set of pans too, see it they'd hold a bit more filling. The blade was the final matching piece to my set and I've been kind of babying it, still use the old chef's blade for any tough stuff. Thanks for the Like Jeff, I do appreciate it! RAY

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky