Liverwurst

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I'm still looking for recipe, but what I remember it was pork liver, pork fat, onions, salt pepper,flour, and butter, I think the liver was ground, and butter and flour were cooked together and somehow fat was melted into it, not sure if water was used or not, then everything was mixed together and put in little loaf pans, then they put them in a water bath for a while then baked in the oven for a while, I remember spreading it on crackers, I will find the recipe though and get back to you, hopefully tomorrow I will have more time to look for it.

This may work for you...JJ

For each gallon* of water added to cover meat, add...
1 large Onion (fist sized), cut in half.
1tsp Salt
1tsp Black Pepper
1tsp Dry Thyme
2tsp Rubbed Sage
1/2tsp Ground Allspice
1ea small Bay Leaf

Wash pigs head thoroughly, paying extra attention to ears. Cover the pigs head and pork meat with water. ( *) About 1 gallon, give or take a couple of Cups, add herbs and spices. Bring to a simmer, skimming any foam and fat that surfaces. Simmer for 2 hours. Add liver and simmer an additional hour or until the meat is falling off the skull. Remove the Meat, Bones and Onion to cool. Strain the broth and reduce by about 3/4th. Note: Rubbing a few drops of reduced Broth should feel thick and slippery like thin oil. This liquid then becomes sticky as it cools and evaporates. Pick the meat from the bone removing sinew, excessive fat, the outer surface of the tongue and anything you won't eat. Skin, nose, ears and cheeks are all delicious so keep them. Grind the meat, skin, etc. Add just enough reduced Broth to form a thick Slurry the consistency of wet mud. Taste and adjust S&P. Pour all into one or more greased and parchment lined loaf pans. Cover with film and Refrigerate 24 hours. Slice, pan fry crisp and serve.

Reactions: zwiller
I'm still looking for recipe, but what I remember it was pork liver, pork fat, onions, salt pepper,flour, and butter, I think the liver was ground, and butter and flour were cooked together and somehow fat was melted into it, not sure if water was used or not, then everything was mixed together and put in little loaf pans, then they put them in a water bath for a while then baked in the oven for a while, I remember spreading it on crackers, I will find the recipe though and get back to you, hopefully tomorrow I will have more time to look for it.

Is this what you are referring too?...JJ

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/21688/pork-liver-pudding/

Found it, 1 stick margarine , 100 grams flour, 600 grams ground pork liver, 400 grams ground pork fat, 2 ground onions, 2 eggs salt and pepper to taste . .. melt margarine then add flour mix until you form a ball, then add milk a little at a time until you form a thick gravy. Put in pork fat until it melts. Then add liver and onions until heated good. Take off stove add eggs 1 at a time, salt and pepper to taste. Put in tins 3/4 full. Bake in water bath for 45 minutes to 1 hour at 350. After that empty water and put back in oven for aprox. 15 minutes or until crust forms. You can double,triple recipe if you want, what I remember these were baked in small tins (maybe 4x8 inches) or something like that. smaller then bread pans.it doesn't say to grind onions on recipe but I'm pretty sure they were. Not 100% positive though. Good luck not sure if this is what your looking for. She called this a liver paste. Either way it's delicious .

Reactions: zwiller
Thanks for those recipes.
chefjimmy, yours sounds like it could give me something like what I was loking for.

Now, to get a pig.
Farmer down the road about 5 miles raises pigs.
Will stop and see if he will have any ready for late November

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky