Little help choosing Auber for the inept

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

PAwhiteboy

Original poster
Jul 11, 2019
Awfully nice forum you guys have here. A lot of good information.

I have a MES 40 gen. 2.5

Maze just showed up to correct my low smoke issue.

Have been looking at Auber PID's. Pretty intimidating stuff there. Wiring looks simple enough. Read the, MES rewire simple guide, a few times. I have the same wiring as sm0kin, so that is the least of my troubles. Choosing the right/easiest controller is and its been giving me a headache since Monday. Any advice which is the most user friendly?

Also, I understand I should be looking for a thermometer for meat and box temps. Any suggestions in that area?

Thank you,
Matt

Reactions: sm0kin
8A7A860F-3CBB-4B0E-866C-00B5A115CCB0.jpeg
Awfully nice forum you guys have here. A lot of good information.

I have a MES 40 gen. 2.5

Maze just showed up to correct my low smoke issue.

Have been looking at Auber PID's. Pretty intimidating stuff there. Wiring looks simple enough. Read the, MES rewire simple guide, a few times. I have the same wiring as sm0kin, so that is the least of my troubles. Choosing the right/easiest controller is and its been giving me a headache since Monday. Any advice which is the most user friendly?

Also, I understand I should be looking for a thermometer for meat and box temps. Any suggestions in that area?

Thank you,
Matt
The WiFi model is definitely easy mode

Thank you,
Matt

I have several of their PID's. Honestly, I'd suggest this one:

https://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=14_28&products_id=72

Here is why:

It's cheaper than most all of the other models
You really only need cabinet temps on the pid. There are better and more flexible options for your food.
It's a more simple interface when its just one temp display.
I'd even suggest not getting the cabinet mount probe and simply use the Free Hanging probe. This gives the most flexibility for moving the probe around to find the right place based on what you are putting in the cabinet and makes it much easier to use elsewhere if needed.

Of course you cannot go wrong with the others. I know they are always innovating so a lower cost one now can save a few bucks to spend on some of the stuff coming out in the future.

I have found that I like a basic PID and then I use RF based food probes. I get 1500 feet of distance with the RF thermometers and their probes are cheap to replace. Mavrick, Inkbird etc etc.

My MES runs off the WS 1510ELPM (the same one Winterrider suggests) and I am very happy with it. You can go down a rabbit hole with all the programing possibilities but if you prefer you can just plug it in and go (after you do the MES rewire) and it works well with the default settings..

You really don't need the 1500. The 1200 is sufficient for the element in these units. Save a few bucks.

My MES runs off the WS 1510ELPM (the same one Winterrider suggests) and I am very happy with it.
I'll be the third to suggest this , as I use it too . Easy to use and set up . Works great with the MES .

Here’s what it boils down to, they all will get the job done. If you are a “tech savvy” individual who can appreciate the App interface and control your device from anywhere on the planet, this is the one you should buy.
https://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=14_28&products_id=702
If those features aren’t desired, the other units are completely adequate. In my opinion the money spent is well worth it.

Thanks for the reply's.

I'm going to purchase Thermoworks smoke first and see how far off my stock setup is and if I can manage with that.

I don't really see a difference between the 1200 and 1500 other than, the amps and the 1500 is fused. Probably just save the money and go with the 1200. I'm sure either one would be fine.

When you read the 15 amp WS-1510ELPM manual for a 1,200 watt 10 amp current element, Auber mentions there is no issue with continuous heating without cycling regarding over heating the heat sinked SSR. If over 10 amps and long heating cycles you may have to increase the P value or get into the output code and reduce it from 100% to not damage the SSR. On pg 21 of the WS-1510ELPM the section, When heat becomes an issue is the same as the 12 amp manual. But they refer to 15 amps in the dialog so I don't know which is right. You've go 90 min to get to cycling at full power before making setting changes with full 15 amp output and thats in the 12 amp manual. I figure 2/3 amp capacity constantly on at 10 amps for the 15 amp controller vs 10 amps constantly for the 12 amp controller. Especially with a whole packer will take an hour to get the 1,200 mes 40 element to 275°. Who knows. After reading both it's no longer clear to me.

Reactions: tallbm
Thanks for the reply's.

I'm going to purchase Thermoworks smoke first and see how far off my stock setup is and if I can manage with that.

I don't really see a difference between the 1200 and 1500 other than, the amps and the 1500 is fused. Probably just save the money and go with the 1200. I'm sure either one would be fine.

Hi there and welcome!

Let us know what you bite on and how it turns out. Just be sure you get enough controller to easily manage the wattage for your MES40 :)

Thanks for the reply's.

I like that thermoworks smoke. I think you will be happy.

I was visiting Auber last month and asked the owner about the 1200 and the Masterbuilt and he said it's enough. The only reason I'm confident in posting that here.

Reactions: dr k
sm0kin sm0kin I think I'm about to pull the trigger on the Wifi model to replace my current "hybrid" grilleye thermometer (aka NO range) and I was just wondering if anything has been addressed from Auber since your original review (below)? Also, any update on the alarm from the controller being super loud? Seems minor but could be an issue in suburbia...

Today I finished an overnight smoke on 20 lbs of bone in pork shoulders, first run with the Auber. Overall I like it, with a couple caveats so far.
1. I cannot get the alarm feature on the app to work. The controller sounds, but the app gives zero notification. Hopefully that can be fixed short term, kind of a big deal.
2. You cannot rename the third probe, it’s just called probe 3.
3. You cannot rename the recipes. It’s just b1,b2 , c1,c2 , f1,f2 for beef,chicken,fish

I like having the WiFi, the app is decent overall, and the temp is controlled far better than the stock masterbuilt unit hands down. It was very windy last night so the temp fluctuations were in the 5 degree range. I’m hoping that will tighten up after I get the settings right.

View attachment 387215

When you read the 15 amp WS-1510ELPM manual
I was gonna make a comment , but now I'm confused again . LOL .
I took the manual , and wrote down in workin man speak what does what .
Then I ran the smoker , adjusted one setting at a time until I got it where I wanted it .
If I'm worried about it not getting up to temp fast enough I run it in pre-heat mode ,,,,

I plug the smoker in direct and wait for it to get to the temp I want , then I let the Auber take over ,,, LOL .

I was gonna make a comment , but now I'm confused again . LOL .
I took the manual , and wrote down in workin man speak what does what .
Then I ran the smoker , adjusted one setting at a time until I got it where I wanted it .
If I'm worried about it not getting up to temp fast enough I run it in pre-heat mode ,,,,

I plug the smoker in direct and wait for it to get to the temp I want , then I let the Auber take over ,,, LOL .
That'll work and set your high limit alarm on the therm to let you know it's preheated. I do smoke a lot at 275° with the vent wide open with ribs, butts and brisket, no wrap, minimal stall in the Mes 40 and run P mode P=1, I=0 and D=0 for it to hold 1 or 2 degrees but it's with this size smoker with vent wide open at the max recommended temp 275. I incease P to 2 or 3 at lower temps. I have written down the out of box settings, autotune and a few others but my go to is P=1, I=0 and D=0 for higher heat smokes with max draft for the Amnps in the mailbox mod.

Small note to those using Auber PID's. The various model ranges can and do use different multipliers for the PID values. In other words a P=5 on one is NOT 5 on another older unit.

Bottom line is that be aware of your model and the settings rather than taking numbers off the internet and applying them without context.

Small note to those using Auber PID's. The various model ranges can and do use different multipliers for the PID values. In other words a P=5 on one is NOT 5 on another older unit.

Bottom line is that be aware of your model and the settings rather than taking numbers off the internet and applying them without context.
Exactly! That's why I quote the model in posts as often as possible and it's in my signature. Auber sent me this for my crockpot sous vide no over shoot and they said divide the P column by 10 to get the WS-1510ELPM out of the box settings (P=7, I=600, D=150.) See bottom of line on the chart. So before I SV I set the analog crockpot to high and WS-1510ELPM to P=4, I=0 and D=40 and for yogurt based on their chart below. I now have the Inkbird SV from our sponsor, that's awesome but same results with this chart and crockpot. Definitely know your default settings and play with them a lot.
Capture.JPG

I was mostly joking about the " pre heat mode " I have done that , but I DON'T leave the area when I do .
My current settings , Auber 1510 , MES 30 gen 1
P = 10
I = 208
D = 210 .
Looks goofy , but it works . That comes from standing in front of the smoker and adjusting one setting at a time , by 1 or 2 numbers .
I do alot of ham , sausage and bacon , but my other smokes are done at 250 .
So at 250 it gets to temp ( empty ) in under 30 minutes .
Over runs by 2 degrees .
Settles to set temp , no under run .
Once I add the meat , it drops , but recovers fast .
Once back to set temp it stays there . No 249 , no 251 . It's 250 . Now if I set it to 275 , that might not be the case .

Reactions: dr k
sm0kin sm0kin I think I'm about to pull the trigger on the Wifi model to replace my current "hybrid" grilleye thermometer (aka NO range) and I was just wondering if anything has been addressed from Auber since your original review (below)? Also, any update on the alarm from the controller being super loud? Seems minor but could be an issue in suburbia...
The app has not been updated, and although it could be improved it does work. Auber advised the alarm can be removed and provided instructions on how to do so, but it cannot be silenced from the app. Even with the minor issues I am still very pleased with my purchase

Reactions: cnet24
The app has not been updated, and although it could be improved it does work. Auber advised the alarm can be removed and provided instructions on how to do so, but it cannot be silenced from the app. Even with the minor issues I am still very pleased with my purchase

Ordered tonight, thanks for your help.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky